Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My HHO Gen Blows up

Westcoastrocks Guest

My HHO Gen Blows up

My Generator has blown up 3 times now. This is not a burning HHO gas explosion. its a pressure explosion that I am positive. But I have no idea why. The first time I found a flaw in my bubbler that made it hard for the gas to pass through. I fixed it and its just like all of the other bubblers out there. But my generator continues to exploded. Any ideas?

Meat Guest
    Some pics would probably get some gears turning in peoples' heads. Maybe your output line is collapsed inside? Dude, you gotta be having a spark or something arcing inside the generator. Maybe take your output line off your generator and blow into it, see if there's any resistance. Is your generator being damaged when it blows? One idea I had for a cheapo safety relief valve was a film canister with holes drilled at each end and rubber grommets to seal the output hose ends. If you did have an explosion, then it would seem likely that the canister would just pop apart instead of catastrophic damage to our precious projects! I do know that your GIF image is pretty cool!

Westcoastrocks Guest

4th gen is dead

I made yet another case. Went to test it today and it blew up again at 28 miles. I will post a couple pictures of it. By process of elimination I come up with nothing every time.

there are three things that i can think of that would do this. If you can think of anymore let me know.

Flashbacks: I have a bubbler of course, its in the picture. Its very simple hose goes in to the bottom of the jar and the black elbow coming out goes into the air intake. if there was a flashback then it would at best blow up the bubbler. Cause there is no way for the flame to travel under 5 inches of water and up the hose.

Pressure: I have checked all hoses once again before even starting to test my new generator. Everything is perfect. There should be no reason that the HHO gas decides to stay in the fuel cells container and blows it up.

Heat: Every time my HHO generator has blown up i check to see how hot it is, both the cell and the water surrounding it. I figure if I can hold my finger on the cell and in the water, then its not too hot. Id guess that it was no more then 100 degrees. it did not hurt not one bit and I could keep my fingers in there forever at that temp.

So there you have it, I have built 4 HHO Gen cases and all 4 have blown up. I am completely stuck. The fuel cell is awesome its produces a good amount of gas and so far going from 23 to 37 mpg is awesome for my first one. If you could throw out some thoughts that would be really awesome guys thanks!

timetowinarace Guest
    Spark.

A loose connection somewhere inside like a loose nut, bolt, wire or wiggling plates that get too close together. Some of your plate edges at the top look pretty close together. They can arc.

faulty vaccum. If your injecting into a vaccum port then maybe at times the pressure goes backwords into your unit. A oneway valve might be neccisary. But if this was the case your bubbler water would be MIA.

I agree. Something like this

Westcoastrocks Guest
    I can tell you that there is nothing loose either plates or bolts inside the case. As far as the plates go what is considered too close>? I have them 1/16" spaced. However the guy who cut them up for me did not do a good job and making the ends straight. Think that is it?

lol I have seen that video before. I had no idea that could happen. Oh and my plates are spaced this way

-NN+NN-NN+NN-

Can Negative plates cause a spark? If not it would have to jump two plates to arc to create the sparc

I run my HHO gas (after the bubbler) to my air intake. I have it really close up to the throttle body i guess its called. I don't know if that is bad. Sure doesn't seem like it

No. One of my prototypes where I used fender washers had a washer come loose and come close enough to arc, and all it did was make a little under water torch.

timetowinarace Guest
    1/16" is very close. especially when the plate edges are not uniform. I bet you'll find some plate edges closer together than 1/16". Look at a sparkplug and tell me how much gap can produce a spark.

N plate are electrically connected in a electrolyte solution. So yes, they can arc. How many amps are you using?

I can't see gas pressure being the culprit in this case. I think a hose or cap or lid or something would leak before shattering the container like that.

Westcoastrocks Guest
    I can't see gas pressure being the culprit in this case. I think a hose or cap or lid or something would leak before shattering the container like that.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right about the pressure not being the case. So would you recommend spacing the plates at like 1/8"? I asked our local machine shop to make the plates straight, but obviously they did not take the time to do that. I don't know how many amps I'm pulling because I still have not figured out how to do an amp test because I don't understand how to do a series test. I have read up on it many times but whatever I am doing I'm doing it wrong because it is not working.

timetowinarace Guest
    I would increase spacing a bit and try it. It's doing you no good right now anyway.

Are you tring to use a multimeter to measure current? A DMM? If so you may have hooked it up wrong at some point and blew the fuse. It happens to the pros all the time.