Thread: Volt Meter Hookup

gheuett Guest

Volt Meter Hookup

I'm a bit lacking in my knowledge of using a volt/amp meter to measure the amperage. Could someone verify the connection arrangement that you need to insert the meter in the test loop? For a test setup, I currently have a battery charger connecting to a car battery which connects to the + and - of the cell and I'm not sure where to connect the meter in between. Right now I'm testing a Smacks Booster type cell.

Thanks!!
    Gib Heuett

ammeter

Your main power line must run through the amp gauge. The + wire from the battery connects to one terminal of the ammeter, then the + wire from your booster to the other terminal of the meter. Hope that makes sense to ya

gheuett Guest

Additional Question - Measuring Current

Thanks for the help! One additional question as I test. I'm having a very difficult time locating a Voltmeter that reads DC current above 10 amps. I've bombed out on all the usual auto parts, Home Depot etc. That is a critical component here but I'm not having any luck.

Thanks!
    Gib

terryinkansas Guest

0-30 ammeter at Tractor Supply

I think this is a good buy and I like the 0-30 gauge instead of the 0-60.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

ammeter

Advanced Auto sells an ammeter that reads 0-60 for about $22 us.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

gheuett Guest
    That style is definitely the ticket. The auto gauges in the store have ever other kind but that one seems to be available only online. The volt meters for some reason just don't seem to go above 10A.

The help is much appreciated!!
    Gib

Sparkie Guest

clamp meter.

Could you buy a clamp meter perhaps.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamp_meter

I don't know how cheap they are but it just clips around the wire and presto.

hubut864@bellsouth.net Guest

Ampmeter

I have a Sears VOM that has a 20 Amp setting on it but will read 30 with no problem.