Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolyzing Frozen Water

dennis13030 Guest

Electrolyzing Frozen Water

What happens if we try to electrolyze frozen water?? I did not want to use the term "ice".

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Sounds like trouble if you ask me.

The electrolyte is there to conduct the electricity, albeit frozen. The bubbles would have no escape. So sooner or later the bubbles would accumulate enough, to create enough pressure, to "crack the ice" (the frozen electrolyte) in the electrolyzer. If the electrolyzer is made out of PVC, well, it'd most likely break just like frozen pipes do in the winter, if it wasn't broken already from the freezing!! Same with acrylic and other "weak" materials. Stainless steel? Well, depending on the construction of the casing, it could sure blow a seal or a gasket.

A simple extrapolation sure. Have we tested it? No, don't see the point of it.

The ideal would be to keep the electrolyte from freezing, right? Even in the colder places like Alaska, right?

Keeping the safety bubbler from freezing is also a worthwhile endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post
    Sounds like trouble if you ask me.

The electrolyte is there to conduct the electricity, albeit frozen. The bubbles would have no escape. So sooner or later the bubbles would accumulate enough, to create enough pressure, to "crack the ice" (the frozen electrolyte) in the electrolyzer. If the electrolyzer is made out of PVC, well, it'd most likely break just like frozen pipes do in the winter, if it wasn't broken already from the freezing!! Same with acrylic and other "weak" materials. Stainless steel? Well, depending on the construction of the casing, it could sure blow a seal or a gasket.

A simple extrapolation sure. Have we tested it? No, don't see the point of it.

The ideal would be to keep the electrolyte from freezing, right? Even in the colder places like Alaska, right?

Keeping the safety bubbler from freezing is also a worthwhile endeavor.
    Very good points. I'm still researching everything I can find to keep these things from freezing and haven't really found a solution that doesn't come with quite a hassle.
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

dennis13030 Guest
    I wonder if there is a electrolyzer design that would not be damaged by the water freezing?

Also, the easy way to resolve this issue is to put a very low power heating blanket around the electrolyzer. Maybe temperature controlled so it is only powered when the ambient temp. is below 40F or something.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Beef up the % solution of electrolyte in the electrolyzer, that should do it, if you can keep the other variables under control, like thermal run-away.

What's wrong with just running anti-freeze in the safety bubbler during an Alaska Winter?

True, but wouldn't you need somewhere to plug it in to a power source? My car being parked at work is what I'm most concerned about.
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

No gains.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HHOhoper View Post
    True, but wouldn't you need somewhere to plug it in to a power source? My car being parked at work is what I'm most concerned about.
    I'd run the heater off of the battery. Thats why it would need to be very low power.

Do you know of one that is low enough that it wouldn't drain your battery before the next start-up? That would work quite well I think.

No gains.

dennis13030 Guest
    It will take a little time to find them but I've seen them before. Also, it is not hard to make one your self using resistive wire sewn onto a fabric.

cjdave Guest
    Using a container made of a flexable plastic like a tupperware, you can let it freeze and as soon as you start the current the electrolite heats up and melts.