Thread: Lye Issues

precaster1@msn.com Guest

Angry Lye Issues

Why Does 1 Table Spoon Of Lye Blow 25 Amp Fuses Instantly- Powertube Design. Baking Soda Goes About 15 Miles. No Pwm Yet. Lye Is 2 Years Old. Frustrated Near Seattle (big Time)

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    Why Does 1 Table Spoon Of Lye Blow 25 Amp Fuses Instantly- Powertube Design. Baking Soda Goes About 15 Miles. No Pwm Yet. Lye Is 2 Years Old. Frustrated Near Seattle (big Time)
    because u dont need nearly as much lye for ur solution as u would baking soda... it draws the same amperage with much less of it and it runs cooler and cleaner since it has less oxygen (whereas baking soda is 6 oxygens for every sodium) to form ferris oxide (rust)... just add a bunch of distilled water to offset and dilute ur solution... one tablespoon of lye is way more than needed

Omega Guest
    I'm using a little over 1/8th teaspoon in a quart of water. That is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. (Notice teaspoon, not tablespoon...) I need to bump it up a little bit because my cell is running cool, meaning I can increase HHO production by merely adding a little lye.

It's best to work up gradually. The downside to too much lye is boiling your generator and getting the lye/water mix in the motor. Not good.

A lot of the concentration issue is the type of cell you have. You definitely need to back off a lot!

precaster1@msn.com Guest

Lye Issues

Thanks guys, I'm off and runnin now.

Lye will not boil off with the water. It will sit in the container, but the water will travel.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."