Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Im a newby at the end of my fuse & breaker

hubut864@bellsouth.net Guest

Help Im a newby at the end of my fuse & breaker

My generator draws between 22 &24 Amps. I have it wired with 3 each # 12 wire in parallel. A 30 amp fuse gets hot and blowes after about 5 miles. Next I tried a 30 Amp ckt breaker with the same results.

Where do I go next?????????????? About to pull the rest of my hair out!

HELP

If you want to decrease the amperage, then you must lower the conductivity of the electrlyte soution. This is one way to do that. Start by cleaning out the unit completely. Heat some distilled water to about 120°. Pour the hot water into your electrolyzer and slowly add electrolyte until the amp draw is about 20.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

I like the output at the 22-24 amps. What do use in your setut drawing 31 Amps?

Quote Originally Posted by hubut864@bellsouth.net View Post
    My generator draws between 22 &24 Amps. I have it wired with 3 each # 12 wire in parallel. A 30 amp fuse gets hot and blowes after about 5 miles. Next I tried a 30 Amp ckt breaker with the same results.

Where do I go next?????????????? About to pull the rest of my hair out!

HELP

Oh, I just noticed you used 12 gauge wire. Thats way to small for that many amps. Using wire that is too small will cause heat build up in the wire. Thats why your fuse is getting hot. The wire is to small and probably the connections to your fuse and electrolyzer is too small as well. I believe 12 gauge wire is rated for about 20 amps max. 10 gauge is about 30 amps max. I would go with a good 8 gauge, better to be safe than sorry.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

I have a lot of 12 so I put three of them in parallel on both the pos & neg side.

How and when are you measuring amps? If measuring with the engine off, you are using you battery voltage of 11.8-12.2V. When you start the engine, the volts goes up to around 13.8V. This is a 15% increase, may be getting you up around 28 amps. Then as things heat up, amps go up also. On a cold start morning, mine will go from 9ish to 15ish amps by the time I get to work, a 30 min drive.

I agree with Stratous... try diluting your electrolyte. Let it run for 30 min or take a 30 min drive. Check temperature and amps and see what you have then. You can always add some electrolyte if amps are too low.
    1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V6
    Modified Smack design installed 6/20/08
    Modest gains of about 1.5 MPG (17.8 to 19.3)
    No sensor controls (yet)

EltonBrandd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hubut864@bellsouth.net View Post
    I have a lot of 12 so I put three of them in parallel on both the pos & neg side.
    Make sure all your contacts are tight. A loose connector will cause high resistance, also solder your 3 wires together at the ends to prevent a loose contact. Also you don't want over 20 amps, if it goes much higher than you have thermal runaway.

With the engine off its running 15 - 18. I put a 50 Amp maxi fuse in it late this afternoon.Will see if it can blow it. Dont think so.

Be careful with such a large current draw. Temperature may become you next issue.
    1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V6
    Modified Smack design installed 6/20/08
    Modest gains of about 1.5 MPG (17.8 to 19.3)
    No sensor controls (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by EltonBrandd View Post
    Make sure all your contacts are tight. A loose connector will cause high resistance, also solder your 3 wires together at the ends to prevent a loose contact. Also you don't want over 20 amps, if it goes much higher than you have thermal runaway.
    What is thermal runaway?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.