Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Efficiency Standard: Liters Per Minute Per Watt

dennis13030 Guest

An Efficiency Standard: Liters Per Minute Per Watt

I propose that whenever we discuss electrolyzer efficiency, we do so per the standard(Liters Per Minute Per Watt). This provides a good numerical and standard way to compare efficiency.

What do you guys think?

Bigtoyota Guest
    I like it

Although you can get a rough idea with the LPM per amperage too. If someone should decide to dabble with AC versions, however, watts become a must.

daveczrn Guest
    i agree.. where would you like voltage messurements taken? right at the cell generator i suppose.

watts=volts*amps for those who don't know.

Bigtoyota Guest
    Yes, the voltage at the generator is the best.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daveczrn View Post
    i agree.. where would you like voltage messurements taken? right at the cell generator i suppose.

watts=volts*amps for those who don't know.
    Yes, voltage should alway be measured at the anode and cathode as close to these plates(or wires) as possible.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoyota View Post
    I like it

Although you can get a rough idea with the LPM per amperage too. If someone should decide to dabble with AC versions, however, watts become a must.
    Using current would be fine if the voltage was always the same(12V). A more universal quantity and more useful quantity is Watts(Volts * Amps).

RMForbes Guest

Watts are better

Automotive systems ussually vary somewhere between 12volts to 14.5volts depending on the system and condition of battery and altenator. A good fully charged battery should be around 12.6v and the altenator should put out between 13.5v and 14.5v. My system operates at 14.2v and your system may be different.

I think using watts (volts X amps) is a much more accurate way to measure.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Hey, we can keep score this way!

Jaxom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    Hey, we can keep score this way!

Looks like it's about to get competitive. As long as it's friendly competition I'm all for it.

L/m/W seems like a very good way to calculate efficiency to me too.

.25 liter?

Should we also standardize the volume? 1 liter, 1/2 liter, 1/4 ? I ask because I use a measuring cup @ .25 liters. Some people might think that at .25 liter, the margin of error is too big. This sounds like it might get interesting and or fun or frustrating, depending who has the bragging rights LOL.