Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar panel instead of car batterie?

boobou69 Guest
    here's another one for you guys.......wind power..... a car running at 50 mph meets a lot of wind resistance....if you could harness it into a mini wind turbine.....

i can only provied the ideas...lol....not the means.....

Boobou69

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I would think that the wind resistance from the turbine would reduce the forward energy of the car the same amount as an alternator kicking in. That pesky "Energy Lost" theory hits us again... you would be switching from alternator energy to Motion energy to produce electricity. They would be theoretically equal.

Sure it would produce some electricity but it would lower your speed and gas mileage the same amount or more if you count bearing friction and other small amounts of lost energy from heat.

boobou69 Guest
    yep...lol..... and that is why i am NOT the brains of the operation.....good point!

Solar energy is very attractive for keeping the cell warm in the winter so the electrolyte does not freeze over while you are at work, but its VERY low output versus high dollar cost. I would also think that maybe it could be used to top off the battery and have a timer that allows the generator to run for a period of time every now and then to keep it from freezing over.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."