Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get the special plastic(one that melts together) for building a container

mneste8718 Guest

Where to get the special plastic(one that melts together) for building a container

I am looking to make another container for my electrolyzer but this time I would like to make it myself with the certain plastic that I have seen people use on this forum. Apparently there is a special acrylic glue you can use for it so that the plastic melts together so that there are no leaks at all. If someone could give me some links, I would really appreciate it.

My next project is to possibly move the battery to the trunk and put the electrolyzer in its place. Otherwise I am going to just put the electrolyzer in the trunk...

Wako216 Guest
    hey I know im probably setting my self up for a stern talking to but while he brought it up, i scrap out medical x ray equip and we come across alot of transformer metal containers some are three feet by four feet by two feet but others are small, like 10"x20"x24" that would be perfect for a cell (alot of cells) they have a thick epoxy coating on the inside that Im hoping is to prevent corossion but I guess theres only one way to find out right? but anyway what are the dangers of mounting it in the far back of a mini van? and are there any ways to safe guard this? I just hate seeing those containers off to the scrap yard

lou Guest
    Sounds viable ....... keep us informed. Well wouldn't it be better to use copper plates? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
    I am looking to make another container for my electrolyzer but this time I would like to make it myself with the certain plastic that I have seen people use on this forum. Apparently there is a special acrylic glue you can use for it so that the plastic melts together so that there are no leaks at all. If someone could give me some links, I would really appreciate it.

My next project is to possibly move the battery to the trunk and put the electrolyzer in its place. Otherwise I am going to just put the electrolyzer in the trunk...
    www.craftics.com i believe
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

mneste8718 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Do you know which glue is used for melting the plastics together?

mneste8718 Guest
    Also, are there any glues that can melt plexiglass together as well? It would be way easier for me to find plexiglass locally than acrylic....

Ronjinsan Guest
    On a viability thought here but ....if your battery is in the front, errrr correct me if I'm wrong but I think I would rather run a pipe from the back to the engine than have to extend 2 battery cables all the way down the length!! Yes, no, yes, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
    Do you know which glue is used for melting the plastics together?
    Any glue that is made from methylene chloride will work on acrylic plastics.

Follow this link: http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=80
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronjinsan View Post
    On a viability thought here but ....if your battery is in the front, errrr correct me if I'm wrong but I think I would rather run a pipe from the back to the engine than have to extend 2 battery cables all the way down the length!! Yes, no, yes, no?
    Well, first off, it would be less work to remount the battery for a large electrolyser. Second, there is a safety issue with having the electrolyser in the trunk or back of a van or riding shotgun with you (more hho stored in the system and if there are leaks hho freely riding around with you in the trunk or cab). Third is the vacuum pressure lost over a long distance for those that want to use this to improve efficiency. Fourth is the problem of having a long run of soft tubing to kink, plug, get holes, develope leaks at juction points, unless more expensive hose is used.

mneste8718 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Any glue that is made from methylene chloride will work on acrylic plastics.

Follow this link: http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=80
    Unfortunately none of them specify if they use methylene chloride