Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saturation point of NAOH

saturation point of NAOH

I would like to know how much NAOH crystals (Per Tsp) can be added to 1 US gallon of water to reach the saturation point.

truckman1966 Guest
    i would also like to know. just bought a lb of lye AKA NaOH

Quote Originally Posted by dlynds View Post
    I would like to know how much NAOH crystals (Per Tsp) can be added to 1 US gallon of water to reach the saturation point.
    I am not sure what the actual saturation point is but I do know that you do not want to go past 28% by weight. You get to a point where the NaOH will actually slow down production of HHO.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

truckman1966 Guest
    with the original baking soda mix i was running 128:1 water to baking soda. maybe i will start there. if anyone else has used it maybe they could chime in with their mix ratio? (nudge nudge)

truckman1966 Guest
    just switched over to NaOH on my generator. i used 1/2 tsp per gallon of water and it had the same production as 8 tbsp of baking soda per gallon of water. it is actually cheaper to run NaOH. the lb of baking soda i bought was $.99. the lb. of lye i bought was $4.83. you have to use 16 times more baking soda. while the cost is almost 1/5. Therefore the same production costs almost half as much with NaOH.

NAOH Vs KOH Vs Baking Soda

I'm not recommended to use baking soda!

baking soda = Sodium bicarbonate = NaHCO3, Because it content carbon "C". You will get CO2 on out put.

I recommended to use NaOH and KOH, But my personal is using NaOH, Because I can get the pure NaOH easy than KOH. Try to get 99% pure of NaOH or KOH for best electrolysis performance!!!!

Generally speaking there is no reason to go any further than what your PWM needs for the current you are running at. If you put in 5 Tbls. of NaOH in a gallon of water and your generator is only drawing 19 amps (assuming you want 20). Then just add one more Tbls. of NaOH. Anything more is really just a waste of resources. Also, the higher the concentration, the higher the risk of chemical burns if you accidentally spill/splash it on you.

A caveat to the above is if you are living in a cold climate. Then maximizing your electrolyte is a good idea to keep it from freezing. This is where 28% by weight is acceptable.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Generally speaking there is no reason to go any further than what your PWM needs for the current you are running at. If you put in 5 Tbls. of NaOH in a gallon of water and your generator is only drawing 19 amps (assuming you want 20). Then just add one more Tbls. of NaOH. Anything more is really just a waste of resources. Also, the higher the concentration, the higher the risk of chemical burns if you accidentally spill/splash it on you.

A caveat to the above is if you are living in a cold climate. Then maximizing your electrolyte is a good idea to keep it from freezing. This is where 28% by weight is acceptable.
    Having accidentally spilled about half a gallon of medium strength electrolyte over my forearms and hands (2 cups KOH in one gallon) I can definitely agree with Q's suggestion here. It wasn't pleasant and looked like I'd tried to run the 100 meter dash while holding a ****ed off rabid kitty cat.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

I have just got my setup running. Working on solution strentgh. 7x7 cell. 2 gallon resevior. I have just tried 1 cup NAOH to 1 Gallon water. 18 amps no PWM yet. How do you figure out the percentage for the saturation you are talking about? Any help or ideas will be appricated!

Hasn't anyone ever plotted a resistance vs. concentration curve? If not, I think I might do that this weekend...