Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Bits For Ss?

PAPAFIXIT Guest

Drill Bits For Ss?

What kind of bit do y'all use for SS?

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAFIXIT View Post
    What kind of bit do y'all use for SS?
    I use a drill press and titanium or cobalt drill bits. When I first started, I used an 18 volts cordless drill. I went through about 4 titanium drill bits with each set of plates. I then got smart and purchased a drill press. Since then I have been using the same drill bit which is a dewalt 1/4" cobalt bit. The drill press is set to the slowest speed which I believe is 320rpm. I also use cutting oil to keep the temperature down. The key to drilling metal is as follows. Slow your bit speed down, use as much pressure as you can and keep the bit square with the metal. The slower your bit speed the longer it will last.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

This is what my drill press looks like. It cost $129 from www.grainger.com
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

PAPAFIXIT Guest
    Thanks guys, I'm gettin' all fired up now, time to play inventor.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    This is what my drill press looks like. It cost $129 from www.grainger.com
    Wow! It looks like a nice DP of $129.

rmptr Guest
    If you wish to outsource, HarborFreight has a small drill press for $65.

5 speed, 2" stroke. Should work for these applications.

At their homepage, enter item search for 38119-9vga

They ship promptly when I call in a phone order to Marisol.

Best

Dean88 Guest
    After burning up every 3/8 bit I had (all cheapo's) I finally bit the bullet and bought a 13 dollar cobalt bit and after drilling 21 3/16'' plates it is still sharp as new.

Quote Originally Posted by rmptr View Post
    If you wish to outsource, HarborFreight has a small drill press for $65.

5 speed, 2" stroke. Should work for these applications.

At their homepage, enter item search for 38119-9vga

They ship promptly when I call in a phone order to Marisol.

Best
    Mmm good ole' Harbor Freight... Can't beat piece of crap equipment for a piece of crap price!

In all honesty though, for light duty, most of their stuff is great for the money.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Guys, stainless steel should be drilled at 120 rpm. No more than 200 rpm. Most of the cheaper desktop drill presses will not run that slow. They will quickly burn up the drill bits and mess up your metal if it's very thick. If you get stainless too hot while working it, it will become brittle and will conduct magnetism at that spot.

If stainless becomes blue where you are drilling, then it's getting too hot. Also use cutting oil if you plan to drill more than one quick hole.

Bwanar Guest
    A couple of other things I do. First not so hard on the pressure. Pressure causes heat, which you want to avoid. Cobalt bits do work better, but Titanium will also do. It's best if either are split point. Finally if you are going to be doing much drilling, you should get yourself a good bit sharpener. They are pretty cheap now (I like Drill DR's.) and they will save you a fortune in bits. The better ones will even let you make split points out of standard bits. They cut a lot better/faster.