Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What did I do wrong?

Ken-nah-dee Guest

What did I do wrong?

Hi all!
    OK, so I made a basic HHO useing the the water4gas spiral wire design. FOr the initial test run on my dodge ram 2500, I used tap water and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, with the hose hooked up directly to my CAI. The first week, I got a 3.6% increase in MPG (yay). The thing paid for itself on hte first full fill-up

The second week it went back down to the normal MPG...so I assumed it was just my truck's ECU figuring things out. So I put a rush on my o2 sensor enhancer and got it hooked up, I decided to clean out the HHO cell since I had the hood open...and...

Most of the jar was filled with water so muddy it looks like hot chocolate, and some of the wires in the spiral actually melted and split apart. But the fuse was fine?

I'm guessing I might have hooked up the power backwards, but I want to know for sure before I re-do the cell

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

dennis13030 Guest
    I don't believe that you can electrically hook it up backwards. Just make sure that the leads are not shorted to each other.

Here is something to consider.

1. All of the metal inside the electrolyzer must be the same material. Preferrably stainless steel(304 or 316 grade). This includes wire, nuts, bolts and washers.
    2. The wires melted because the wire size was too small. Try doubling the thickness of the wire.

Try this stuff and monitor the results. Let me know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-nah-dee View Post
    Hi all!
    OK, so I made a basic HHO useing the the water4gas spiral wire design. FOr the initial test run on my dodge ram 2500, I used tap water and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, with the hose hooked up directly to my CAI. The first week, I got a 3.6% increase in MPG (yay). The thing paid for itself on hte first full fill-up

The second week it went back down to the normal MPG...so I assumed it was just my truck's ECU figuring things out. So I put a rush on my o2 sensor enhancer and got it hooked up, I decided to clean out the HHO cell since I had the hood open...and...

Most of the jar was filled with water so muddy it looks like hot chocolate, and some of the wires in the spiral actually melted and split apart. But the fuse was fine?

I'm guessing I might have hooked up the power backwards, but I want to know for sure before I re-do the cell

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    what size fuse did you use? If you used a 30amp fuse and 12 gauge wire, then its possible that the wire couldnt handle the amperage.
    ALso, the HHO cell generates alot of heat as heat increases so does amp draw.
    Its not good to use tap water, tap water is not pure. Baking soda does not run clean for most people, especially when used with galvanized metals. When you use galvanized or nikel plated steel and unclean water, you get goop...lol.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Ken-nah-dee Guest

Unhappy

Thank you both for such quick replies!

I have to admit, I did go pretty cheap on this one...at the time I still wasn't sure if this was a scam or not, but I wanted to know for sure myself.

I was very happy to see that this did work, but I guess my cheapness bit me in the a$$

I had a 5 amp fuse and I used 14 gauge wire...which really surprised me when the spiral wires melted since the fuse never blew. I'm not to savvy on electronics...could the 14 gauge wire have allowed too much voltage even if the amps werent' that high?

HHO Cell Mark II will be getting more good wire (316). Distilled water, and I'll probably use baking soda on this next one, but have either of you used the potassium hydroxide? This is kind of a "father daughter" project, so I've stayed way from it, but does it work that much better than the baking soda?

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-nah-dee View Post
    Thank you both for such quick replies!

I have to admit, I did go pretty cheap on this one...at the time I still wasn't sure if this was a scam or not, but I wanted to know for sure myself.

I was very happy to see that this did work, but I guess my cheapness bit me in the a$$

I had a 5 amp fuse and I used 14 gauge wire...which really surprised me when the spiral wires melted since the fuse never blew. I'm not to savvy on electronics...could the 14 gauge wire have allowed too much voltage even if the amps werent' that high?

HHO Cell Mark II will be getting more good wire (316). Distilled water, and I'll probably use baking soda on this next one, but have either of you used the potassium hydroxide? This is kind of a "father daughter" project, so I've stayed way from it, but does it work that much better than the baking soda?
    The SS spiral wires in the elctrolyte melted? Do I understand this correctly? The wires that produce hho?

If this is the case, it sounds to me that the wires corroded quickly. Low grade wire. Your fuse would not blow because current would cease rather than increase. My cousin did the same thing and has ordered better grade wire. He was happy with production with the wire electrodes though.

Hope this helps

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timetowinarace View Post
    The SS spiral wires in the elctrolyte melted? Do I understand this correctly? The wires that produce hho?

If this is the case, it sounds to me that the wires corroded quickly. Low grade wire. Your fuse would not blow because current would cease rather than increase. My cousin did the same thing and has ordered better grade wire. He was happy with production with the wire electrodes though.

Hope this helps
    It seems to be a miracle. Take some water, insert two pieces of metal separated, connect an electral power source to the metal pieces(+ lead to one and the - lead to the other) and shazzam! you start getting HHO. The metal piece attached to the negative wire produces pure hydrogen. The metal piece attached to the positive wire produces pure oxygen. You get twice as much hydrogen as oxygen(HHO, it's no longer H20). HHO means that the all of the gases produced by water electrolysis are combine.

The only issue now is how to do this in the best way possible. Nobody really knows yet.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    It seems to be a miracle. Take some water, insert two pieces of metal separated, connect an electral power source to the metal pieces(+ lead to one and the - lead to the other) and shazzam! you start getting HHO. The metal piece attached to the negative wire produces pure hydrogen. The metal piece attached to the positive wire produces pure oxygen. You get twice as much hydrogen as oxygen(HHO, it's no longer H20). HHO means that the all of the gases produced by water electrolysis are combine.

The only issue now is how to do this in the best way possible. Nobody really knows yet.
    ??????? I don't see what your getting at here.

ELECTR0N3RD Guest
    Try using a larger guage wire like an 8 or 10 guage, i know it sounds really big, but I had the same problem, and it worked for me, also try testing different size fuses, start with a small 5 amp fuse let it blow, then go bigger say 10 or 15 and keep going until you get one that does not blow, this should solve your problem.

ELECTR0N3RD Guest
    also for more increased HHO production try using the plate method instead I noticed It creates much much much more HHO faster.

Ken-nah-dee Guest
    I think the plates might be my next test if my next run of the spiral design goes bad. I just have a few more parts to go and I'll have everything gathered for the next trial, got the better 316 wire today, and actually got some distilled water. This test round is going to be a double cell!

One small question, instead of using "goop" or crazy glue for the attachments to the lid, could I just use rubber washers to create a good seal? Then if bits break, it's a lot easier to swap out the parts instead of starting over...

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and suggestions, for a while I thought I was all on my own. Hopefully I'll gain enough experience to be able to return the favor!