Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Temps.

gasmakr Guest

Talking Freezing Temps.

Once you have a system installed in you car. What happens when the air temp goes below freezing? Is there an additive that you can add to the mixture to stop it from freezing?

jared Guest
    i saw some guys saying that windshield washer fluid could be used as a solution alternatively we used to use calcium hydroxide -dow flake to keep our water from freezing when i was a bricklayer, dont know wqhat that might do to your production

jared Guest
    calcium chloride, sorry

Getreal17 Guest
    One thing I've thought about using is a bottle heater that is used to heat Nitrous Oxide bottles for dragcars. You could then interlock the bottle heater to a thermocouple in your container and have a simple controller which would kick the heater on at "x" degrees and cutoff a "y" degrees. To use this, you could hook it to your battery or simply have a 120V plug and hook it up to your house in the cold months.

Just a thought, maybe someone else could expand on this or have a better idea, but maybe this gets a ball rolling...

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jared View Post
    calcium chloride, sorry
    would this effect the burn rate in the engine or build up on the intake tract??

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Getreal17 View Post
    One thing I've thought about using is a bottle heater that is used to heat Nitrous Oxide bottles for dragcars. maybe this gets a ball rolling...

that's a very good idea I had that same thought a couple of weeks ago. I have friends who dragrace. my current snag is that this is my commuter car for work and I work 3rd Shift the car will sit outside in a parking lot for 10-12 hours at a time away from any power outlet how do i keep it from freezing and not kill my battery?

Getreal17 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmakr View Post
    that's a very good idea I had that same thought a couple of weeks ago. I have friends who dragrace. my current snag is that this is my commuter car for work and I work 3rd Shift the car will sit outside in a parking lot for 10-12 hours at a time away from any power outlet how do i keep it from freezing and not kill my battery?
    I've thought about this, I've just never ran any calculations. But here are few more thoughts.

When you arrive to your destination (work in your case), your cell will have hot water that will take hours (probably half your shift depending upon temp of course) to cool down. Additionally, if you were to let the heater kick on at say 40 degrees F and run until it was 50 degrees F, I would imagine it would only have to do this a few times a night.

Again, we will need to specify the heater chosen (with known current loads), your cell container material, your cell container dimensions and thicknesses, your volume of water, outside air temps etc. to pull this off.

It also may be just as easy to lug around an extra battery in the trunk or in the toolbox in the bed of your pickup truck to just run the heater and charge it occasionally.

Let's keep bouncin' around ideas...

h-power Guest

Heater?

You would need to calculate heat loss at various temps of your unit. To help supply the lost current in your car battery you could add a small solar panel to help recharge. My friend uses a solar panel for his airplane in winter to keep his engine warm while it sits on the tarmac.

Why wouldn't plain isopropyl alcohol do the job instead? I wouldn't use calcium chloride because this will produce chlorine gas in the electrolyzer.

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by h-power View Post

Why wouldn't plain isopropyl alcohol do the job instead? I wouldn't use calcium chloride because this will produce chlorine gas in the electrolyzer.

I was just having that thought..... calcium i think would build up in the intake runners. most people are using washer fluid. From which the main components are water and alcohol so why not just use the alcohol instead.
    the panel is also a good idea.

gasmakr Guest
    how sad do you half to be to spam on a hho forum???

what a spead