Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Hydrogen Cell (Phase-I) Improved gas production

tbhavsar Guest

DIY - Hydrogen Cell (Phase-I) Improved gas production

Today I am glad to update you with improved results of my Phase – I experiment; after getting feedback from mentors; members and internet search I made following change that resulted in 700ml in 1 ½ minute. Here is what I changed;

1) Electrolyte (1 liter distilled water) and 1 flat tea spoon of NaOH + KOH. I could not get either KOH or NaOH at this time so I decided to use a strong drainer opener I had from Home Depot. It’s called Instant Power that has concentrated NaOH (lye) & KOH together.

2) Removed Brass rods/Bar and used 10 gauge wire with Ring terminal to

3) Changed plates to –nn+nn- (1/8 gap)

4) Aligned plates to have constant Gap of 1/8"

5) Output: 700 ml in 1 ½ minute compared to close to very slow production of 500ml per 6 minutes that I reported yesterday.

My next run is to connect multiple cells in series to get > 1 LPM output before I try in my Honda Accord.

Prev. Thred;
    http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=175

Ronjinsan Guest
    Ahhhh nice but trust us on this.... +nn-nn+ is the best production config for you even though you are a coupla plates short!

tbhavsar Guest
    Why are you suggesting to use plates in a +nn-nn+ order? I put my plates in a -nn+nn- order because hydrogen is attracted to negative plates and Water has two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen.

rmptr Guest
    EXCELLENT QUESTION

By now, this one question should be resolved.

What plate arrangement produces the most HHO in a one quart glass jar of electrolyte when driven by a standard automotive battery?

best

I have tested both several time, +nn-nn+ does produce more than the opposite. Ask yourself this question, when electrons flow, in which direction do they flow? Positive to negative or negative to positive? That is the answer as to why +nn-nn+ works better. Electrons flow from negative to positive which causes the n plates to take on a negative charge. If you put the Negative plates on the outside, then only one side of the plate is being used where as in the middle both sides are being used as well as the neutral plates. Other than that, the flow of the water is different as well. Thats the best way I can explain it.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

tbhavsar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I have tested both several time, +nn-nn+ does produce more than the opposite. Ask yourself this question, when electrons flow, in which direction do they flow? Positive to negative or negative to positive? That is the answer as to why +nn-nn+ works better. Electrons flow from negative to positive which causes the n plates to take on a negative charge. If you put the Negative plates on the outside, then only one side of the plate is being used where as in the middle both sides are being used as well as the neutral plates. Other than that, the flow of the water is different as well. Thats the best way I can explain it.
    Thanks Stratous,

Your explanation make sense; I found the same on this doc; page 36 (of this doc: http://waterpoweredcar.com/pdf.files/D9.pdf
    will try ‘+nn-nn+’ plates tonight and report the outcome.

I have another plate related question. I am planning to build six(or three depending on the plates required) Cells in series to consume 12v car battery power. Should I go with ‘+-+’ or ‘+-+-‘ or ‘+nn-nn+’ ?

I am asking this question since I got hold of 316 SS Sheet and having them cut tomorrow in the workshop. I am wondering how many Neutral, Positive and Negative plate I should have (based on recommended plate configuration). I have total 18 plates (2” X 6”approx) to drill holes. I would appreciate your help in this regard.

[QUOTE=tbhavsar;1749]Thanks Stratous,

Your explanation make sense; I found the same on this doc; page 36 (of this doc: http://waterpoweredcar.com/pdf.files/D9.pdf
    will try ‘+nn-nn+’ plates tonight and report the outcome.

I have another plate related question. I am planning to build six(or three depending on the plates required) Cells in series to consume 12v car battery power. Should I go with ‘+-+’ or ‘+-+-‘ or ‘+nn-nn+’ ?

I am asking this question since I got hold of 316 SS Sheet and having them cut tomorrow in the workshop. I am wondering how many Neutral, Positive and Negative plate I should have (based on recommended plate configuration). I have total 18 plates (2” X 6”approx) to drill holes. I would appreciate your help in this regard.[/QUOT

Your plate setup would depend on whether or not you plan to run the 3 cells in series or parallel. If you were going to run in series you would have about 4.6 volts on each cell on a normal automotive system. In that case I would run +n-n+ possibly +nn-nn+. The first setup would yield about 3 volts accross each cell, the second would yield less than 2 volts which is almost bare minimum for breaking water. If you ran all three in parallel then I would go with +nnn-nnn+. this would yield about 5 to 6 volts accross each cell because of the neutral plates. In a parallel circuit the voltage remains the same throughout the entire circuit meaning the applied voltage to each cell will remain 12 volts. The Nuetral plates will help bring that down inside the cell sorta like a resistor. Amperage on the other hand is split between each cell. The sum of the currents through each path in the parallel circuit is equal to the total current that flows from the source. Each method has its positives and negatives. Personally I would build 4 and run a parallel/ series configuration.

tbhavsar Guest
    [QUOTE=Stratous;1762
    Your plate setup would depend on whether or not you plan to run the 3 cells in series or parallel. If you were going to run in series you would have about 4.6 volts on each cell on a normal automotive system. In that case I would run +n-n+ possibly +nn-nn+. The first setup would yield about 3 volts accross each cell, the second would yield less than 2 volts which is almost bare minimum for breaking water. If you ran all three in parallel then I would go with +nnn-nnn+. this would yield about 5 to 6 volts accross each cell because of the neutral plates. In a parallel circuit the voltage remains the same throughout the entire circuit meaning the applied voltage to each cell will remain 12 volts. The Nuetral plates will help bring that down inside the cell sorta like a resistor. Amperage on the other hand is split between each cell. The sum of the currents through each path in the parallel circuit is equal to the total current that flows from the source. Each method has its positives and negatives. Personally I would build 4 and run a parallel/ series configuration.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Stratous; If I understand this correctly, how series connection is different than parallel since the electrosis of water only needs ~2V per cell, so regard less of series or parallel, each cell is going to get ~2V anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tbhavsar View Post
    Thanks Stratous; If I understand this correctly, how series connection is different than parallel since the electrosis of water only needs ~2V per cell, so regard less of series or parallel, each cell is going to get ~2V anyway?
    In a series the 12v will be split evenly between all cells. If you have 2 then each will get 6 volts. In a parallel each unit will get 12 volts. The total amperage is split in parallel.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Yeah what he said. ......I rest my case!