Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop or slow down the brown stuff

Stop or slow down the brown stuff

I have been experimenting with a ton of configurations. Plates, current, electrolyte, and water volume. I just can't seem to slow or stop the formation of all that brown stuff. I suspect it's rust, or perhaps a byproduct from the electrolysis process. In all of my configurations, the test solutions always come up to being a muddy brown, yet I see videos all over the web demonstrating a long run time and no brown. What am I doing wrong?

The reddish brown stuff is what is caused by using different metals in your unit. Go with all stainless steel and the discoloration will not happen. Cheaper galvanized metal or metals mixed with zinc will turn the water red. Looks almost like a fine mud.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

That makes sense

I was using what I thought was an all stainless setup, but the bolts that I have been using are zinc coated. Thanks Strat! I am heading out to Lowes and changing up right away.

Be prepared! Lowes is a horrible place to get stainless bolts. Hardware stores are much better. Places like www.Fastenal.com are very affordable and have a very large selection. Where I work we do a lot of business with them.

If its not labeled as SS, how can I be sure I am getting the real deal?...I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I am a computer pro not a metallurgist.

If its not labeled as stainless, its not stainless. End of story lol.

lol....I figured that much, but when I was shopping around for threaded stock, I found alot of shiny stuff that resembles SS but no one was able to tell me for sure if it was in fact SS.

Is there some kind of magnet trick or something that I can use to tell on the spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    The reddish brown stuff is what is caused by using different metals in your unit. Go with all stainless steel and the discoloration will not happen. Cheaper galvanized metal or metals mixed with zinc will turn the water red. Looks almost like a fine mud.
    Will I get the same mud if I combine two or more alloys of SS? I.E. 304 with 316

Ronjinsan Guest
    Couple of answers off the top here... firstly SS nuts are pretty easy to pick out from the galvanized type. If you put them together on a table you will notice the galvaized nuts are a silvery white whereas the genuine SS are a darker chrome looking. I keep all mine in the same box and after a bit of practice you will pick out SS nuts and bolts easily. If you are out shopping for them and they are not marked as SS then I suppose the magnet thing is a good idea but they should be a/ marked as SS and b/ a lot more expensive than the mild steel type! Secondly.... even with everything SS in my cell I still get a little water discoloration! I put this down to using pure rain water and not distilled water. I gather my rain water off of a plastic roof and straight into plastic containers so better than that is not possible, but you will still have some impurities! Use Sodium Hydroxide in distilled water with ALL stainless inside and you should have no problems!

THANKS RON!!! I will certainly keep that in mind when I shop again.