Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Hydrogen Cell - A Phased Approach

tbhavsar Guest

DIY - Hydrogen Cell - A Phased Approach

After doing some research and Investigation; this has become overwhelming, very exciting and an ambitious project for me. At this time I am going nowhere and hence I decided to have a phased approach to set my expectation for better success rate. Please provide your valuable guidance/input if I missed anything here and/or if I am expecting too much out of this project (FYI – I drive 95 Honda Accord). -Thanks; Tushar

Phase I (Pilot or POC - Proof of Concept Phase ):
    a. Use kitchen container to build basic cell (Config: 1/8 gap, -nnnn+nnnn-
    Using SS Wall Plates)
    b. Measure & Test Output (expected 1 liter per minute gas output)

Phase II:
    a. Build appropriate cell Housing (4” PVC Pipe; 8/10 or 12” long);
    b. Upgrade SS Plate to 316; 20 Gauge (11 Plate Config)
    c. Build Bubbler
    d. Connect hoses and Pipe fittings
    e. Measure & Test Output (expected 1 liter per minute gas output)

Phase III:
    a. Install in Car w/o wiring and pipe fittings (Drive car around to make sure nothing falls apart)
    b. Connect wires and hoses
    c. Test drive
    d. Measure success (MPG improvements)

Phase IV (based on Phase III Success):
    a. Add Power with Modulation (PWM)
    b. Add EFE – and O2 Sensor Modification
    c. Add Air/Fuel Mixture circuit
    d. Pressure Switch to disconnect Power supply to stop building excessive pressure

Phase V (Automation):
    a. Add Temp Control and Water Cooling / Radiator
    b. Add Water level/Float Switch to supply Electrolyte from Reserve tank

mneste8718 Guest
    Phase I will not yield 1 liter per minute and it will get really hot really fast. SS plate covers apprently aren't thick enough to support all that amperage. I am telling you this now cause when you see a runaway heat problem, it may turn you off from continuing with HHO

tbhavsar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
    Phase I will not yield 1 liter per minute and it will get really hot really fast. SS plate covers apprently aren't thick enough to support all that amperage. I am telling you this now cause when you see a runaway heat problem, it may turn you off from continuing with HHO
    Thanks for your feedback;

tbhavsar Guest

Pics of my first cell (phase I)

Here is my first cell; it is from 11 SS wall plates (config: -nnnnn+nnnn-) with 1/8 spacing.

mneste8718 Guest
    Thats pretty much what I tried doing yesterday and today and the heat was insane and it was only at 3 amps. Go figure...

My setup was 10 plates with 8 neutrals

tbhavsar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mneste8718 View Post
    Thats pretty much what I tried doing yesterday and today and the heat was insane and it was only at 3 amps. Go figure...

My setup was 10 plates with 8 neutrals
    How about putting multiple cell in series; please check this document; read from page 4 onwards.

http://waterpoweredcar.com/pdf.files/D9.pdf

At 3 amps your heat should not have been insane, unless you had it in very little water. My truck runs at 30 amps normally. It gets hot, but 30 amps is alot more than 3. Are you sure your ammeter is working correctly?
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

mneste8718 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    At 3 amps your heat should not have been insane, unless you had it in very little water. My truck runs at 30 amps normally. It gets hot, but 30 amps is alot more than 3. Are you sure your ammeter is working correctly?
    When I say insane, I mean that with a 12v 6amp charger, I get runaway heating. With my other setup in my car, that doesn't happen at all with the charger. I think the container is like 1 or 1.5 quarts/liters

How long does it take for the water to get hot and at what temp do you call it run away?

Also, it looks from your picture as it your nuetral plates are all connected together. If that is so, then you only have one nuetral plate. All plates in the cell should be isolated from each other unless they actually carry a charge. Positive plates and negative plates can be connected together, but nuetral plates should not be connected together. I may be wrong about the way your picture looks though.