Thread: Whats less conductive that i can add to water??

Atechguy Guest

Question Whats less conductive that i can add to water??

Just a thought i don't want to buy a pwm or anything else right now , is it possible to just put distilled water and add something to make the water less conductive with harming the plates, i just have a problem with this unit 50 plates in series producing to much current and causing metal flaking and ishorting out, i can't reconfigure it is sealed unit, right now even with out electrolye i am still getting production, just what something less conductive?? Is this dooable.

Hmm. Just add sand. j/k.

That's a tough one. If it were me, I'd go with the PWM to save me the headache. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for...
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Atechguy View Post
    Just a thought i don't want to buy a pwm or anything else right now , is it possible to just put distilled water and add something to make the water less conductive with harming the plates, i just have a problem with this unit 50 plates in series producing to much current and causing metal flaking and ishorting out, i can't reconfigure it is sealed unit, right now even with out electrolye i am still getting production, just what something less conductive?? Is this dooable.
    Have you tried just adding very very small amounts of the electrolyte? The KOH flake is very suitable for this, you can just add a couple of flakes and start from there. I put some of my electrolyte (about 16 fl/oz) into a glass jar and add the flake, then stir it up well and gently pour it slowly around the whole bath.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Atechguy Guest
    I just went for a drive about close to 1 hr. with just distilled water and it went up to 8.2 amps with just distilled, so maybe i can add a few flakes at a time because it seems like i only need about 1/4 teaspoon or less before it goes slowly up to 20 then eventually 30 amps. This has been alot of trial and error .

Too much current

Atechguy,

What metal are your plates, and how close are they, also the config?

Are you drawing 8 amps with distilled?

Sounds interesting.

BTW, I did get the current feedback pwm schematic posted.

Atechguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    Atechguy,

What metal are your plates, and how close are they, also the config?

Are you drawing 8 amps with distilled?

Sounds interesting.

BTW, I did get the current feedback pwm schematic posted.
    The plates ss, with nickel and molyb,,,,,,"? about 18 gauge , 50 plates in series, 1/8 gap. ,,,i seen the schematic looks Marvelous!!But know i may be more interested in the Tempature control PWM, instead. Patiently waiting .

bigapple Guest
    well i know u dont want to have to pull apart the entire arrangement but if u havent separated ur positives and negatives with neutrals, that mite be the answer... when i had alternating plates in a brute force system, it was alot more susceptible to shorting out... try to add some neutrals if u havent already