Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series cell trouble

1973dodger Guest

Series cell trouble

Just when I thought I had it figured out, I find out I don't. I started out with 6 set series w/ 2 cell per set. I thought if I ran a series cell with multiple parallel cells in each set, I could get the amps to come up, but it did not work out as planned. First a description of the new design; 6 sets of cells w/ 15 3x5 perforated plates in each set(total of 90 plates), all connected in parallel. All cells have a 1/16" spacing. Appx. 2.2 volts / set of cells. All sets are in their own completely seperate bath. Anything over 4 teaspoons of Naoh / quart of distilled water, has no effect on the amperage. The amps start out at 12 amps and end up dropping to 9 amps in a minute or so. My production is 1/2 lpm, pitiful. I made better than that per amp with a Smack's cell. ther does'nt seem to be enough volts to push the current. I am shooting for 6 lpm at less than 40 amps, so I am way off pace. I feel I have wasted way to much money and time, but I hate to give up. Finding the resonance of a WFC seems unobtainable, high voltage/ low current requires to many expensive electronic gadgets. All suggestions welcome.

1973dodger

Ok, if I'm understanding your setup correctly then your problem is that in each parallel set you have 15 plates? This ends up with 13.8v divided by 15 = 0.92v per plate, not enough for electrolysis to start. In each parallel set you need to divide the input voltage by the number of plates in use in the cell. Also, 90 plates is probably way too many from my own experiences.

If you check out my latest experiments in my thread, you will notice that the first thing I tried was 36 plates wired in 6 parallel cell sets, each cell set had 6 plates wired +NNNN-. I was getting production from all the plates, but very much noticeably less as you progressed through them. I managed about 500ml of HHO every 25 seconds with this setup. The next day, I unplugged half my plates and managed a respectable 500ml of HHO every 20 seconds. My conclusion here is that there is just not enough power to generate a respectable throughput here (I was up to over 40 amps). My truck has a 136 amp alternator.

I would recommend making each cell either a +NNNN- or +NNNNN- series and wiring the cell's in parallel with each other. Start with 3 or 4 sets of plates and you should see a lot better production.

I hope this helps and I've understood your setup correctly.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

smartHHO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    Just when I thought I had it figured out, I find out I don't. I started out with 6 set series w/ 2 cell per set. I thought if I ran a series cell with multiple parallel cells in each set, I could get the amps to come up, but it did not work out as planned. First a description of the new design; 6 sets of cells w/ 15 3x5 perforated plates in each set(total of 90 plates), all connected in parallel. All cells have a 1/16" spacing. Appx. 2.2 volts / set of cells. All sets are in their own completely seperate bath. Anything over 4 teaspoons of Naoh / quart of distilled water, has no effect on the amperage. The amps start out at 12 amps and end up dropping to 9 amps in a minute or so. My production is 1/2 lpm, pitiful. I made better than that per amp with a Smack's cell. ther does'nt seem to be enough volts to push the current. I am shooting for 6 lpm at less than 40 amps, so I am way off pace. I feel I have wasted way to much money and time, but I hate to give up. Finding the resonance of a WFC seems unobtainable, high voltage/ low current requires to many expensive electronic gadgets. All suggestions welcome.

1973dodger
    Not sure if you know how electronics work, with in regards to Ohm's law or not. Series circuits keep current constant where parallel divide it differently, and then there are series parallel circuits. So, if you know the resistance, and voltage and you pretty much draw the cell circuit out and put these numbers in. You can pretty much get a rough on how much current you will have, and where. If you want to know how the Ohm's law works on series, parallel and series parallel circuits, feel free to PM me and I try and shoot you a drawing. If you know how it works, figure it out on paper and you will see what you need to wire it as to get what you desire for results.

1973dodger Guest
    Thanks guys for your input. I have checked the voltage across each of my sets, as well as across each of my cells in the parallel sets. All appear to be getting 2.2 volts. I have tried every configuration known, except the Tero Cell, all shapes, sizes and configurations. I have found neutrals work in dropping voltage, but are a real pain in preventing current leakage. From a common sense point of view, I figure why not give the current what it wants, an unrestricted path to the electrode of opposite polarity across from it, and just drop the voltage by putting sets of cells in a series. So all plates are electrically connected.

So what I did was chart a smaller verison of the set up I have, with only 2 cells in each set and based on the output numbers, I used those base numbers to compute what surface area and voltage and amperage was needed to make the desired 6 lpm. Sounds reasonable, right. I have carefully checked to see if any plates were shorted out with each other, I have checked to see if all plates were recieving voltage and were properly connected.

Keep those suggestions coming, I am going camping for a few days, to get some perspective and relaxation. I have been at this for hho thing for many months straight, both day and night. I consider myself fairly persistant, almost obsessed, but unless I can figure this out, I may have to chaulk this up in the "oh well" category. I can't help but think, the $3000 I've spent thus far, on this project, would have bought a lot of gas. Man, it really irks me when I can't figure something out.

1973dodger

197dodger

webeopelas Guest
    I'm no expert, but from your description, you are showing 2.2V across the 15 plates right? 15 plates gives you 14 individual cells so ideally you would need 28V across that set to drive electrolysis. Then if you have another 15 plates in series, you would need another 28V for a total of 56V needed for that setup.

I really think you are just trying to drive too many plates without enough voltage.

I would reduce the number the plates in each set.

1973dodger Guest
    Perhaps, I don,t know, but I do know my meter shows 2.2 volts to each cell. So in theory, I have reached my desired voltage to each cell. Now keep in mind I have 6 sets wired up in a series with the voltage in each of those sets wired up to each individual cell in that set. I think what you have described applies to power in a series, not load in a series.

1973dodger

Dodger,

Do you have any pictures or schematics of your setup you could show us? This would help understand exactly how you have things wired.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

1973dodger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Dodger,

Do you have any pictures or schematics of your setup you could show us? This would help understand exactly how you have things wired.
    I'm afraid I do not have a digital camera. If it helps I used the series cell design from this website; http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter10.pdf Then go to pgs. 31-38. The 2 differences between this design and mine is I have a 6 cell setup and my spacing is closer together. ( I could not get 2 volts to drive my cells, so I opted for the 6 cell series)

Well I'm gone to set beside a mountain stream in the Smokies for a few days, perhaps I'll get inspired. I look forward to reading your replies when I get back.

1973dodger

1973dodger Guest
    I sure was hoping to have more replies to my series cell trouble when I got back. Anyway, I'll pose the question in a different light. How do you drive up amps in low voltage applications(2-2.5 volts)? My thought was to add more surface area. Is there a limit to how much current can be driven at 2 to 2.5 volts? Obviously you have to have current to make hho and you need low voltage to make hho efficiently in lpm with amperage used. Is it even possible to make 1 lpm for every 5 amps, as is stated in the above mentioned link?

1973dodger

justaguy Guest
    1973DODGER, I sent you a pm.