Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different electrolyte

Different electrolyte

OK, so far I have seen people use KOH, NaOH, Salt, epsom salt and Baking soda. Has anyone tried lithium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide, barium hydroxide or strontium hydroxide. Does anyone know of any other chemical that could be used? I have been searching the internet for information on building a more efficient cell. Thats the real key.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Ronjinsan Guest
    Hey Stratous....good question, please let me know if there is anything better out there...or maybe just less toxic!

amwewa66 Guest

Catalyst Solution

I have been seeing chemistry departments doing hydrogen testing using de-ionized water (distilled water ran through a water filter), calcium carbonate mixed with 25% methanol. The calcium carbonate increases the electrolysis conduction and the methanol produces 4 hydrogen mol's and CO2.

On the methanol, is that 25% of the water or 25% of the calcium carbonate or is that a 25% dilution of the methanol?

amwewa66 Guest

Methanol

25% of the total volume is methanol mixed with 75% de-ionized water volume = 100% total volume then you add in the calcium carbonate as the catylist.

Dean88 Guest
    I read somewhere that people are using Lemon juice as a catalyst.

jared Guest
    lemon juice seems like it would run very clean, how bout oj?

NaOH will run completely clean if you use all stainless steel in your cell. All nuts, bolts wire connections everything must be SS. I built two identicle cells except for a couple of nuts. One cell had two nuts that were not stainless steel, they were I believe mixed with zinc. I ran both cells for 3 hours to measure heat and output. After 3 hours, the full SS cell was still completely clear and the one with the zinc nuts was slightly red in color.

Ronjinsan Guest
    I agree...I accidentally used a galvanised nut and bolt in one of mine and it did the same!

ELECTR0N3RD Guest
    I have just used pure baking soda, but i wonder if you could use some sort of acid, I dont know but i also hear of a myth where you can put xylol or paint thinner into your gas tank and it burns like gas, I"m not sure the point though considering it is like 12 bucks a gallon, lol