PDA

View Full Version : HHO And Diesel Engines

havocs29
08-20-2008, 03:14 AM
I have installed a generator on my 07 duramax. I had to put it in the bed of my truck because lack of space in engine compartment. I have around 12-15 feet of hose. The unit itself produces tons of HHO, it makes massive bubbles. But I don't see any mileage gains. I have my hose plugged in the air intake between the filter and intake manifold. I can feel suction at the end of the hose closest to the generator. Everything seems perfect but I see no mileage gains. Does anyone have any help on this one? I know HHO with diesels isn't as studied compared to with regular gas motors. I'm at a stand still.

timetowinarace
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Can't help you there. How much(LPM) hho are you getting?

I can tell you the new emissions crap on the new deisels is a power/fuel economy robber. Dodge had to go to a larger 6.7L cummins in '07 to get the same horsepower and torque of the '06 5.9L cummins. The first thing I would do is remove all of that emissions crap.

smartHHO
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Friend of mine put one on his, but it only produced .4. At first, he was running only 6amps and was getting nothing. Then I told him to bump up the current to about 16amps. He then got 2 .5 more MPG. That lasted about 2 days and went back to normal. He even tried the O2 extenders. He has the 08 Dodge Cummings 3500. I am guessing the systems on the new trucks are adjusting back pretty fast. I am also guessing he probably could of got more MPG improvement if he had more production. It is a 6.7L or bigger. I am not much of a Dodge fan, so not sure what their biggest is. Good luck. I am wondering if it needs some kind of Map/Maf box or something.

1973dodger
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I have an 03 dodge with the 5.9 cummins. I noticed some improvement with hyw driving , but no improvement in city driving. I suspect the problem either lies in the injection location or much more than 2 l/m is needed to compensate for the distance the hho has to travel before it gets to the intake valve, because the hho is very diluted at that point, since a diesel ,by nature, requires massive amounts of air. The problem with introducing the hho futher downstream is because the turbo creates a positive pressure between it and the engine. As in the case of vaccuum helps the production of hho, the opposite is true, pressure hinders the production of hho. So as I see it, there is only one alternative, we must produce more hho without using more than 30 to 40 amps, as to how much I don't know, but stay tuned.

1973dodger

havocs29
08-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I have a 6.6L Duramax. I also have a bullydog engine tuner, aftermarket airintake, and exhaust. With the upgrades I get 22mpg highway and about 16 mpg streets. That is of course if I am driveing like a granny. I was thinking of inducing the hho into the turbo but that could be a very costly experiment. The benefit with diesel is you don't have to do anything electronically with sensors. Diesel doesn't work the same way gas gas motors do. So as 1973dodger said, I think the problem is with the distance the hho has to travel. I think if the right injection point could be found that would solve the problem with the newer diesels. But unfortunately, I don't think to many people are willing to experiment with that kind of money if something were to go wrong.

havocs29
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Can't help you there. How much(LPM) hho are you getting?

I can tell you the new emissions crap on the new deisels is a power/fuel economy robber. Dodge had to go to a larger 6.7L cummins in '07 to get the same horsepower and torque of the '06 5.9L cummins. The first thing I would do is remove all of that emissions crap.

To be honest I don't know what the best method of test LPM is. I do know that I can't even take the lid off the container by hand when it is on due to all the pressure. I have to take a wrench to it. And it's deffinately making large bubbles and gas. What is the best method?

JojoJaro
08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Check out my thread on HHO and Pilot Injection.

http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=973

Your Duramax has a pilot injection of about 1-3 mm3 of diesel about 1-1.2 ms ahead of the main injection.

I think the pilot injection is completely igniting the HHO before it can act on the main injection. HHO needs to act on the main injection for it to modify its combustion characteristics to improve efficiency and hence gain MPGs.

As soon as I get my system built, I will program out the pilot injection and see what happens.

Alternatively, you can use EFILive to program out your pilot injection to see if it helps. You engine will rattle more without pilot injection, but I think this will improve MPGs.

timetowinarace
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I have an 03 dodge with the 5.9 cummins. I noticed some improvement with hyw driving , but no improvement in city driving. I suspect the problem either lies in the injection location or much more than 2 l/m is needed to compensate for the distance the hho has to travel before it gets to the intake valve, because the hho is very diluted at that point, since a diesel ,by nature, requires massive amounts of air. The problem with introducing the hho futher downstream is because the turbo creates a positive pressure between it and the engine. As in the case of vaccuum helps the production of hho, the opposite is true, pressure hinders the production of hho. So as I see it, there is only one alternative, we must produce more hho without using more than 30 to 40 amps, as to how much I don't know, but stay tuned.

1973dodger

I agree that more hho is required for our trucks.. I was not able to get good mpg measurements because my unit would overheat. The overhead was showing good gains but I'd have to shut down the unit and could not get real actuall numbers.

I know the diesel cars have had success according to information from other sites.

I'm working on a better unit but progress has stopped for a bit due to a death in the family.

JojoJaro
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree that more hho is required for our trucks.. I was not able to get good mpg measurements because my unit would overheat. The overhead was showing good gains but I'd have to shut down the unit and could not get real actuall numbers.

I know the diesel cars have had success according to information from other sites.

I'm working on a better unit but progress has stopped for a bit due to a death in the family.

Is your 03 Cummins a common rail design? I know Dodge started common rail on 03 models, but sometimes the beginning part of an 03 model is actually an 02 model. You know what I mean?

timetowinarace
08-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Is your 03 Cummins a common rail design? I know Dodge started common rail on 03 models, but sometimes the beginning part of an 03 model is actually an 02 model. You know what I mean?

Dodger has the '03. Mine is '06. Common rail of course. The Bosch fuel system is a bad deal on both the cummins and the duramax.

1973dodger
08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Dodger has the '03. Mine is '06. Common rail of course. The Bosch fuel system is a bad deal on both the cummins and the duramax.

My 03 is the h.o. 5.9 w/310 hp, so yes it is newer style w/ the common rail. I read your thread concerning the pilot ignition, interesting thread, I have read the hho will self ignite at something like a 1050 degrees, so I don"t know if that is the problem or not, but is certainly one possibility. I just think we are kidding ourselves into thinking our measely 1 to 2 l/m is going to have any effect. As I have stated in other post, it has always bothered me when the bubbles are ignited ontop of the surface of the water of our bubblers, they are only ignitable within a couple of inches of the surface, otherwise the hho dissapates with the air. Perhaps this is one of the many reasons Stanley Meyers was eperimenting with the hho spark plug combo setup. Just a thought.

1973dodger