PDA

View Full Version : Why does HHO work? Need user feedback for a scientific study.

buffordboy23
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I am new to this forum, but have much experience with the topic. From personal experience, I have obtained positive results with a HHO device on my vehicle.

However, I am baffled as to why the device even works. According to the Laws of Thermodynamics, such results should not occur. While research from academic peer-reviewed science journals does show positive results for hydrogen supplementation in a very lean ICE engine, many users, such as I, report extraordinary results without modifying the engine to run lean. Therefore, I offer the following general hypothesis:

Somehow the HHO device causes the car to operate lean by altering sensor data, which causes the ECU to shorten the pulse-width for fuel injection.

If true, this hypothesis would explain why users, who do not make any car-leaning adjustments, obtain negative or no results, while others obtain positive results; the sensor setup and ECU algorithm are likely to vary widely across manufacturers and car models.

Also, if this hypothesis is true, this would explain why people report a cooler running engine: A leaner engine has more gases in the cylinder during combustion. After the spark ignition, more heat is transferred to the gases for expansion, rather than the cylinder walls.

I kindly ask for your assistance in helping me test this hypothesis. Please leave descriptive feedback that includes the following:

What is your car make, model, and number of engine cylinders? Please be as specific as possible here, because I will use this info to research the sensor setup of your vehicle and look for patterns. For example, a 94 Toyota Camry with six-cylinders has a MAP sensor rather than a MAF sensor of a four-cylinder Camry of the same year.
Did you make any car-leaning modifications?
Does your engine run cooler with the HHO device?
How did your mileage change as a result?
Can you confidently say that you do not change your driving habits when the device is attached?
Can you confidently say that you built and attached the device properly?

If you can think of any additional questions or other ideas that would be beneficial, please feel free to make these suggestions. Also, any other questions and discussion about the benefits hydrogen supplementation would be benefit this thread as well.