PDA

View Full Version : Seperate The Gasses

Clayne_b
08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Ok this might be a stupid idea. What if you built a collection container to separate the oxygen and hydrogen? the atomic weight of hydrogen is 1.00794. And the atomic weight of oxygen is 15.9994. so if you collect your gas of the top you are getting the hydrogen. and have some way to dump the oxygen. to me that's a lot of weight difference, on an atomic scale that is. lol this is just an idea and i thought i would share and and see what you all think, im no scientist. but if someone that's a genius could make this work that would solve a lot of problems with newer cars and hho.

Painless
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
This can be done by simply separating collection for the cathode and anode, however, I can't think why you would want to separate the two as H2 along with O2 is much more powerful than H2 on it's own.

Clayne_b
08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Isn't it the extra oxygen in the exaust that is making it a electronic nightmare in some cars?

Painless
08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, but the extra oxygen is sensed there merely because there is a much lower content of carbon based emissions.

timetowinarace
08-15-2008, 10:08 AM
It could be benificial to seperate the gas's. I haven't tried it in an engine.

Your theory on seperation is do-able I think.

Smith03Jetta
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't read your post before putting out a challenge for the guys on this forum to create a system that would separate the H from the O. Maybe it can be done...

The MIT Guys have easily produced Hydrogen from water but are having trouble producing the corresponding Oxygen. All we really need to know is HOW THE HECK THEY ARE PRODUCING HYDROGEN BY ITSELF? That sounds like a perfect answer to our questions. I've already contacted MIT. I hope to hear back from the lab.

buffordboy23
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
The MIT Guys have easily produced Hydrogen from water but are having trouble producing the corresponding Oxygen. All we really need to know is HOW THE HECK THEY ARE PRODUCING HYDROGEN BY ITSELF? That sounds like a perfect answer to our questions. I've already contacted MIT. I hope to hear back from the lab.

Do you have a link that discusses their research or the name of one of their publications? If so, I may be able to pull down the publication for free since I am college student and have access to many academic journals.

Smith03Jetta
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/oxygen-0731.html