PDA

View Full Version : The E-Z does it cell for potheads.

BoyntonStu
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I am making progress on the BoyntonPot cell.

Thank you for the suggestions that I have incorporated into this concept.

Notice:

There are no nuts, bolts, or washer spacers.

Everything was bought at Goodwill or other thrift shops to recycle and to save money.

There is only a single intrusion into the cell container, both for gas and for the positive + connection. I used a 1/8" pipe from an old lamp.

The only tools used so far was a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a drill.

The top and seal will consist of a circular board and a piece of shower stall liner. The cover itself will serve as the blow out safety.

Notice the sample piece spacer in the photo to be used between circles.

It is a plastic mesh for keeping leaves from gutters.

$6 a roll at Lowes.

Also notice the innermost ring cut with a built in connection tab.

It was cut from a SS percolator.

There are 6 plates including the pot.

Wiring to be Battery - pot N N N N +Battery inner circle.

BoyntonStu

P.S. When I write circle, I really mean cylinder.

BoyntonStu
08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
From another angle.

Clayne_b
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks intresting. lol

pj91gsx
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
did you test it yet? Good results? What was your total cost?

djerickd
08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
I thought I was going to see a bubbler.. :D

Q-Hack!
08-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Everything was bought at Goodwill or other thrift shops to recycle and to save money.

Like a snowflake... No two BoyntonPot cells will ever be the same...

This is awesome, I am curious as to how you plan to seal the top.

BoyntonStu
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Like a snowflake... No two BoyntonPot cells will ever be the same...

This is awesome, I am curious as to how you plan to seal the top.

While cruising Goodwill I came across this $1.99 spice rack.

Hmmn! How can I use this?:confused:

Then :) I bought it for $1.49 (on sale).

Guess what for?

BoyntonStu

Painless
08-15-2008, 05:22 PM
While cruising Goodwill I came across this $1.99 spice rack.

Hmmn! How can I use this?:confused:

Then :) I bought it for $1.49 (on sale).

Guess what for?

BoyntonStu

Holding your spices?

BoyntonStu
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
This afternoon I connected everything back up with the new cylinder and the lamp pipe connector.

Details:

BoyntonStu
08-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I dismantled the spice rack.

It is my intention to sandwich the pot between the round boards and seal the unit like a music drum.

Also note the magnetic current meter.

I forgot that I had this inexpensive device.

Very quick and useful.

It is indicating 25 Amps.

Hopefully, I will be able to get some work done over the next few days.

BoyntonStu

c02cutter
08-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Actually I love this! It is what this is all about, walking through the kitchen and wondering what there is the wife won't miss... I love it! The concept is really great to play with, though truly sealing will be an issue. Was just curious as to the electrolyte, are you using any, or just the reverse osmosis water.

I know what your playing with here, but did not see anything about the electrolyte so I had to ask.

BoyntonStu
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Actually I love this! It is what this is all about, walking through the kitchen and wondering what there is the wife won't miss... I love it! The concept is really great to play with, though truly sealing will be an issue. Was just curious as to the electrolyte, are you using any, or just the reverse osmosis water.

I know what your playing with here, but did not see anything about the electrolyte so I had to ask.

Thanks.

I am using NaOH from Lowes (Roebic).

I sprinkle it into the RO water, give a stir and I watch the Amps.

Very easy to do.

Did you notice the non-contact magnetic Amp meter?

With respect to sealing; my mouth is sealed.

I will let you know soon.

BTW 3/8" tubing when heated will tightly fir the 1/8" lamp pipe.

No barb fitting required.

Shhh about me stealing pots from the kitchen.

The total cost for the cell is about $15.

As you know a major expense for many is the case.

My $1.59 SS pot is both the case and a plate.

I can immerse it in another pot and circulate plain water for cooling.

Major advantages over an insulating container IMHO.

I measure the individual cell voltage this evening at just over 2V.

BoyntonStu

c02cutter
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
LoL, i was going to come for dinner, but since you left you wife without all the cooking utensils I think I will hold till she beats new ones outta ya. Still cool to play with the pots!!!

BoyntonStu
08-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I could not locate SS 1/8" lamp pipe, etc.

I have a high temperature glue gun.

I applied a thick coating for a test.

It may be better than tool dip.

Time will tell.

BoyntonStu

mario brito
08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
In my tests, that type of glue started to "melt" as soon as I connected the unit to power. Not because of heat ( the unit was pretty cold ). I believe it was because of NaOH and / or electrolysis. It won't last long if in contact with the water solution.

thanks

BoyntonStu
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
In my tests, that type of glue started to "melt" as soon as I connected the unit to power. Not because of heat ( the unit was pretty cold ). I believe it was because of NaOH and / or electrolysis. It won't last long if in contact with the water solution.

thanks

I had used a bit of this hot glue before to affix the insulator to the bottom of the pot.

It did not melt and it seemed do do just fine.

As I stated previously there are different temperature hot glues.

AFAIK The one is the hottest available.

It takes a long time to solidify compared to my lower temp stuff.

Different glue recipe?

BoyntonStu

mario brito
08-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I had used a bit of this hot glue before to affix the insulator to the bottom of the pot.

It did not melt and it seemed do do just fine.

As I stated previously there are different temperature hot glues.

AFAIK The one is the hottest available.

It takes a long time to solidify compared to my lower temp stuff.

Different glue recipe?

BoyntonStu

Probably yes. My glue was the cheapest I could find. Could you please post your glue's brand ? If it doesn't dissolve in your cell, it would solve a minor problem that I have.

Thanks

c02cutter
08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree that there are various degrees of hot melt, thought beyond bench testing I will say it is definitely not a product to use long term. I had a lot of experience with hot melt glues on projects at work that worked great in those environments. I know that I have used in the past hot melt to seal a cell when I just had to do it now instead of waiting to go get what I know works, and it worked for a bit then failed. Also hot melt in any form is designed to adhere to a porous surface. Porous in the sense of a surface similar to paper. As for metal applications I have seen it used for a quick placement bond for welding applications, or a way to quickly hold a part to another before true fusion. Same thing, but the hot melt is only used as a quick and so very temporary bond before a welding application as it releases it's true bond to most metals after hardening. It can be used as a electrical barrier, but it has yo be with materials that allow the bond to occur.

BoyntonStu
08-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I agree that there are various degrees of hot melt, thought beyond bench testing I will say it is definitely not a product to use long term. I had a lot of experience with hot melt glues on projects at work that worked great in those environments. I know that I have used in the past hot melt to seal a cell when I just had to do it now instead of waiting to go get what I know works, and it worked for a bit then failed. Also hot melt in any form is designed to adhere to a porous surface. Porous in the sense of a surface similar to paper. As for metal applications I have seen it used for a quick placement bond for welding applications, or a way to quickly hold a part to another before true fusion. Same thing, but the hot melt is only used as a quick and so very temporary bond before a welding application as it releases it's true bond to most metals after hardening. It can be used as a electrical barrier, but it has yo be with materials that allow the bond to occur.

We do not disagree here.

The way that I use Hot Glue is to make it adhere to itself.

It goes completely around the pipe to make a plastic tube.

The bond to the substrate is secondary to the way that I use it.

The HIGH TEMPERATURE glue that I discovered by accident at WalMart seems stronger than any I had used before.

We shall see.

I hope that it works.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
08-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Probably yes. My glue was the cheapest I could find. Could you please post your glue's brand ? If it doesn't dissolve in your cell, it would solve a minor problem that I have.

Thanks

Check this out to see what glue sticks are available.

http://www.adhesivetech.com/industrial-services/adhesives-detail.cfm?CID=33

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
08-23-2008, 11:21 PM
I believe that this will do the job of sealing the cell.

After I cut the pot handle off, you won't recognize it.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Passed the breath test.

Almost ready to fill and seal.

BoyntonStu

overtaker
08-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Looks good. There is still plenty of time tonight. I expect amp. and lpm measurements by morning. :D

BoyntonStu
08-30-2008, 05:08 PM
The ring kept slipping up and I could not crank her tight.

I had to add a bottom plate to pull against.

Note the combination gas output and safety pop off.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Man, this thing has Redneck written all over it. I mean that it the good way. :D

BoyntonStu
08-31-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxRT11-aHM

First run.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
IT Works!!! Nice leak though.

BoyntonStu
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
IT Works!!! Nice leak though.

Leak? What leak? lol

What is your LPM guesstimate?

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
08-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Hard to say... probably .7 - .8 LPM you'll need to build a HHOmeter or something

BoyntonStu
08-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Hard to say... probably .7 - .8 LPM you'll need to build a HHOmeter or something

Thanks,

Nice guess.

I will let you know.

Next week some time.

BTW 2,400 ml RO water 1-1/2 tsp NaOH

BoyntonStu

overtaker
08-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the update. :cool:

Smith03Jetta
09-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Considering your tendency for CHEAP... Get on your trike and ride down the road. Scan the ditch for a water bottle somebody has thrown in the ditch. Imported bottled water is sold in metric sized containers 1 - 1.5 - 2 liter bottles. A 2 liter cola bottle would be suitable too for gas measurement.

BoyntonStu
09-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Considering your tendency for CHEAP... Get on your trike and ride down the road. Scan the ditch for a water bottle somebody has thrown in the ditch. Imported bottled water is sold in metric sized containers 1 - 1.5 - 2 liter bottles. A 2 liter cola bottle would be suitable too for gas measurement.

A good idea but if I look through my spectacles they might wear out faster.

How was your latest trip results?

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta
09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
We decided not to drive to Atlanta this weekend. We stayed home and played Tennis with the Kids. We did drive around town a little bit, however. The mileage seems to be better around town but we didn't really do any measuring. I hit the trip meter last time I filled up. We are just going to drive around like normal in the Touareg and check the gas mileage the old fashioned way when we fill up next time. That will give me a good average MPG reading.

We drive to Atlanta to get groceries when we have a lot to buy. We go to Harry's market and some other Farmers Markets in Atlanta to get a lot of our groceries. I figured it up; we spend $26.50 on gas to drive to Atlanta and back home. We avoid the trip unless we can save at least that much on groceries. We only needed a few things this week so we decided to stay local.

BoyntonStu
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrYxgQO16Yo

13.8 V @ 25 A 500 ml in 50 seconds

Not very efficient to say the least.

Will it fit my moped?

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Mine has triple that production at same wattage.

BoyntonStu
09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Update

500 mL in 42 seconds

A little over 2 MMW

Temp 113*F

13.8 @ 25 A

Note my 10 minute HHOmeter

Very simple to use.

Press the shampoo bottle cap to open and watch the bubbles come out.

Start your clock and press the cap to close.

BTW I use hot glue exclusively for sealing.

This Walmart glue stands up to NAOH quite well and it seals better (for me) than silicone.

KISS

BoyntonStu

EltonBrandd
09-07-2008, 02:00 AM
I think you should change the name of your cell to the "Sanford and Son" cell!

I wonder if you could collect royalties every time somebody reproduced it too?:D

PAPAFIXIT
09-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Man, this thing has Redneck written all over it. I mean that it the good way. :D

Now, if it will only fly. Redneck YES....but it works!!!
-----------------------------------------------------
Life is an ongoing learning process, when we cease to learn we cease to exist.