PDA

View Full Version : Popular Mechanics Article

BoyntonStu
08-13-2008, 07:22 AM
New article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4276846.html?series=19

More here:
http://tinyurl.com/5ccz8f

The Popular Mechanics article is mostly negative BUT it also points out the fact that EFIE and O2 may be the crux of the negative results. IOW they leave the possibility open to improve MPG by diddling the electronics.

BoyntonStu
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week we ignited some healthy discussion in the comments with my post on the (de)merits of on-board hydrogen generators and injectors. While few could argue with my basic thermodynamic analysis of the process, defenders repeated the claim from producers of these systems that something magical happens when you add hydrogen to the air fuel mixture of an engine. We've looked into this a little further in recent days including with a powertrain engineer that actually understands combustion processes. In the comments on the previous article a number of readers repeated claims that adding H2 gas or the H2/O2 blend has a catalytic effect on the combustion properties. While there is no evidence of this being true, the addition of hydrogen to the mix can have some beneficial effects in certain circumstances.

Hydrogen does indeed have a faster burn rate than gasoline. Blending even a little bit of it with gasoline will indeed increase the burn rate of the mixture. The idea that was put forward in at least one of the comments is that this would faster burn would trigger knocking in the engine that would be detected by the engine management system resulting in retarding of the spark and more of the explosive force pushing the piston down during the power stroke. This is nominally true, but it only applies to newer engines that have knock sensors. There are however a number of problems with this. Read on after the jump for the rest of this discussion.

[Source: Fuel Cell Insider, Popular Mechanics]

As I said, only newer engines equipped with knock sensors will be able to automatically compensate for the knocking that can generated by hydrogen injection. Those hoping to benefit from hydrogen injection on older engines will be out of luck unless they go in and start manually adjusting spark management calibrations. For those with older carburated engines even more manual adjustments will be required. There is another problem with this whole theory however, Hydrogen increases the effective octane rating of the fuel mixture, increasing knock resistance. Therefore knocking may not even be detected and thus no automatic adjustment.

Another potential benefit of injecting hydrogen is the ability to lean out the air fuel mixture. Again here there are limitations on how much can be achieved here. The engine management systems are calibrated in order to minimize fuel consumption while still meeting all emissions standards. Again, an engine with a carburetor would not be able to adjust itself and would have to be manually adjusted. Other engines may not have enough compensation range in their controls to make a measurable difference. Regardless, recalibration of the engine management system will be required to allow the system to run lean enough to get any benefit.

If the spark can be sufficiently retarded with hydrogen injection, one way that efficiency can be improved is by increasing the use of late intake valve closing, essentially creating an Atkinson cycle as used on hybrid vehicles.

All of these potential benefits are unlikely to be realized on any retrofitted engine without significant recalibration and potential mechanical changes. If H2 injection is designed in, the increased knock resistance and faster burn rate could be utilized to achieve some benefits through higher compression ratios, optimized spark and valve timing and fuel management. All of this requires system level changes that are not a part of any of the kits being sold.

The combination of running lean and the higher temperatures resulting from the hydrogen burn rate on retrofitted engines can increase production of NOx which means that the engine might not pass a smog test. Tampering with the emissions control systems actually poses a problem in states like California. Such a system may have to be removed or disabled before a smog test. It's also not clear that even with an engine designed for hydrogen injection, that the benefits would be significant to overcome the thermodynamic losses inherent in generating hydrogen on the fly. Also note that hydrogen has no magical catalytic effect on burning the gasoline. Modern engines, especially direct injected units have relatively little unburned fuel that will be influenced by the hydrogen.

While we haven't actually tried out a hydrogen injection system ourselves, Popular Mechanics has. Mike Allen at PM installed a hydrogen generating and injection system in a test vehicle and used a data logging system to record the fuel flow. The hydrogen system had a switch to enable and disable the system. By monitoring the fuel injection pulses, the most direct measure of how much fuel was being delivered to the engine, he found absolutely no change in fuel consumption. The one change Allen did see was a drop of a couple of tenths of a volt in the vehicle system voltage when the electrolyzer was turned on indicating the load it was putting on the electrical system.

We've also learned about about a column at Fuel Cell Insider pointing out that some of the electrolyzer systems being sold are labeled as fuel cells. This is a misnomer, since a fuel cell consumes hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity. An electrolyzer is essentially the opposite of a fuel cell, consuming electricity to produce the hydrogen and oxygen.

jimbo40
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM
2000 toyota tundra 124000 miles on it. I put on all of them.
26 gallion fuel tank.
For the last 9 years with little to no variation I have been putting in 24-25 gallons for every 317-325 miles in the truck. It's a company truck, I keep records!
Last receipt with HHO shows 363.8 miles @ 24.5 gallons
This current tank is at 375 miles and I still have an between 1/8 and 1/4 tank left.
Without HHO I would have had to filled up 55 mile ago, and would be burning into that next tank ot gasoline, but since I am running HHO im still on the current tank, with maybe a full day to drive yet.
This tank looks to be approaching the 400 mile mark.

I don't really care how popular mechanic's theorises it, explains it away, or anyone else for that matter.

The mileage is actually still getting better!
The funny thing is, is that some are saying, Oh you've just changed your driving habits, not so true on this tank.
My scanguage shows regular max rpm's hits of over 4000 rpm's
I nail the throttle to get on ramps and often pass the traffic on the freeway
so it's not always Mr. nice guy.

Bottom line is $96.00 is still in my wallet that normally would have been paid out 2 day's ago, and that works for me.

Dewayne
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
This test is just another half assed installation. Theyt did not install a EFIE or a PWM. Also if you look at the picture of the cell it appears that the cells are wired in series and not parallel.

BoyntonStu
08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Great results, about 18% increase in MPG!

Any EFIE or O2 mods?

LPM?

BoyntonStu

jimbo40
08-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok here's the latest.
408.8 miles at 24.75 gallons 16.51 MPG
Without HHO 317 miles at 24 gallons 13.2
ScanguageII showed an average of 28mph on this tank of gas. So basically thats city driving.

And yes boyntonStu, O2 extenders made from anti fouling 18mm sparkplug adapters drilled out to 1/2 inch. $5.99 for 2, and a half hour to drill and prep them.
Without them my first tank of fuel was 13.2 mpg and I was totally bumbed out. Then the next tank I tryed to baby it and the gas guage began to drop like a rock, but no check engine light.
At this point I can see where people say it doesn't work, but there was a big clue given as to knowing it was working and that was getting worse mpg. now I was at 12.9, and I had never been that low no matter how hard I beat the truck.

But with these undeniable results it makes me wonder about the effects on the engine.
I run Stainless dual Exhaust and yesterday a freind of mine said hey, come here to the back of your truck, checkout the inside of your pipe end.
All the carbon was gone and you could see the relection of your hand on the inside end of the pipe, and when you rubbed your finger on it the usual carbon was not present.
Next will be to read sparkplugs and take a fiber optic camera into the combustion chamber to check valve edges and piston for adverse effects.

BoyntonStu in a past thread you said to me, ( Why would I help you!)
So then why would I answer anything that you ask me? Because you asked me too;)For the LPM, I'm not sure the way to get that, I was taking a 500ml bottle in a bucket full of water and putting my HHO tube in there, letting it displace the water while floating up out of the bucket as to not put any resistance on the gas. on the new generator @ 5.85amp I was displacenig 500 ml in 1 min. now I'm at 15-18 amps and making double that easely.
So I have to say a rough test show about 1 liter per minute.
If you have a good way to test lpm pass it on please.

Jim

BoyntonStu
08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok here's the latest.
408.8 miles at 24.75 gallons 16.51 MPG
Without HHO 317 miles at 24 gallons 13.2
ScanguageII showed an average of 28mph on this tank of gas. So basically thats city driving.

And yes boyntonStu, O2 extenders made from anti fouling 18mm sparkplug adapters drilled out to 1/2 inch. $5.99 for 2, and a half hour to drill and prep them.
Without them my first tank of fuel was 13.2 mpg and I was totally bumbed out. Then the next tank I tryed to baby it and the gas guage began to drop like a rock, but no check engine light.
At this point I can see where people say it doesn't work, but there was a big clue given as to knowing it was working and that was getting worse mpg. now I was at 12.9, and I had never been that low no matter how hard I beat the truck.

But with these undeniable results it makes me wonder about the effects on the engine.
I run Stainless dual Exhaust and yesterday a freind of mine said hey, come here to the back of your truck, checkout the inside of your pipe end.
All the carbon was gone and you could see the relection of your hand on the inside end of the pipe, and when you rubbed your finger on it the usual carbon was not present.
Next will be to read sparkplugs and take a fiber optic camera into the combustion chamber to check valve edges and piston for adverse effects.

BoyntonStu in a past thread you said to me, ( Why would I help you!)
So then why would I answer anything that you ask me? Because you asked me too;)For the LPM, I'm not sure the way to get that, I was taking a 500ml bottle in a bucket full of water and putting my HHO tube in there, letting it displace the water while floating up out of the bucket as to not put any resistance on the gas. on the new generator @ 5.85amp I was displacenig 500 ml in 1 min. now I'm at 15-18 amps and making double that easely.
So I have to say a rough test show about 1 liter per minute.
If you have a good way to test lpm pass it on please.

Jim

Jim,

HH-ometer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfidJ-PaPL0

Simple, effective, accurate.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu