PDA

View Full Version : Clear container good for 100' depth!

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com

Item 360076991577

The OtterBox 2500 Series case is Waterproof, Crushproof, and Watertight (It Floats!).
Click the image to see a Large close-up of this High-Quality Product!

The OtterBox 2500 Series is a cleverly-made drybox designed to withstand submersions up to 100 feet! Waterproof, crushproof and airtight, these cases provide protection for your wallet, cell phone, PDA, jewelry, MP3 player, small camera and more!

Features: This drybox is perfect for protecting your wallet, jewelry, mp3 player, small digital camera and more! The OtterBox 2500 is waterproof tested to 100 feet. Included with the case is a lanyard for carrying convenience.

Exterior Dimensions:
6.855" x 4.563" x 3.590"

Internal Dimensions:
5.691" x 3.063" x 2.741"

Color: Clear
(see other images for other available colors, sold separately in our store)

We are an authorized OtterBox Distributor, All products are Brand New, and come with OtterBox's Lifetime Warranty!

Is this a good container?

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
For $20.00 I would think this case would outperform any $20.00 container out there hands down. I could not find any temperature rating, however. I would check into that before purchasing. If in doubt go for a Pelican or other similar case. The only thing visible that I see that might be a problem is the latches. They look weaker than the ones on the Pelican cases.

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 01:58 PM
For $20.00 I would think this case would outperform any $20.00 container out there hands down. I could not find any temperature rating, however. I would check into that before purchasing. If in doubt go for a Pelican or other similar case. The only thing visible that I see that might be a problem is the latches. They look weaker than the ones on the Pelican cases.

Good point.

What I discovered was that dive boxes in general are possible.

Here's another idea:

I just came back from Home Depot.

They have 0.040" flexible PVC shower stall liners for about $5.00 a foot x 36". Very durable.

Build any shape box with plywood etc. and line it with this material.

A screw and a washer and the lining itself is the seal.

The top is a little more complicated I would think.

FWIW

BoyntonStu

daveczrn
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
i went looking for a temp rating too.. couldn't find it. Good find for $20 if the temp rating is good.

i would like to see how it performs with preasure from the inside as well.

HomeGrown
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
That's one good-looking container, for sure! As mentioned though, heat is always the dark cloud, until we collectively find the key to maintaining reasonable operating temps.

Painless
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Looks like this box is made from ABS:

http://www.otterbox.com/pdfs/2500-blueprint.pdf

Isn't the max operating temp of ABS about 70C/158F ?

daveczrn
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
depends on the abs.. i have seen abs rated as high as 1000*f

justaguy
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
It is pretty small in my opinion, less than 4"x6"x3"

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
On second thought... That 2500 case is actually pretty small on the inside. I also have my doubts on ABS. I don't think it will hold up to engine bay temps even if you build a plate design that does not get hot.

Also, even with my Pelican cases, I have to put a strap over the lid to hold it sealed. They are made to be leakproof from the outside, not the inside... Even though I strap the lid on tighter, I think the strong cases like Pelican or similar are the best going right now.

The reason why they are waterproof from the outside is that the lid presses on tighter as the outside pressure increases underwater.

BoyntonStu
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
On second thought... That 2500 case is actually pretty small on the inside. I also have my doubts on ABS. I don't think it will hold up to engine bay temps even if you build a plate design that does not get hot.

Also, even with my Pelican cases, I have to put a strap over the lid to hold it sealed. They are made to be leakproof from the outside, not the inside... Even though I strap the lid on tighter, I think the strong cases like Pelican or similar are the best going right now.

The reason why they are waterproof from the outside is that the lid presses on tighter as the outside pressure increases underwater.

Excellent point.

OTOH How much sealing is required with the manifold sucking on the box?

Is there any pressure inside that is measurable?

I have no idea about the seal requirement of boxes.

Can anyone suggest a seal for a SS pot and lid?

My experience began 5 years ago using PVC pipe.

BTW I installed a tire valve stem in a PVC plug to test the seal.

Shall I post a photo or is that clear enough?

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

P.S. I am now uploading 2 videos to Youtube of the BoyntonPot in operation.

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
My leak test on the Pelican test was two parts.

I put the hose in my mouth and blew into the closed case with no water in it. It leaked.

I sat the box on it's end full of water overnight. It leaked a few drops. I got some NaOH water on my hands when I picked up the case. I promptly washed it off and then rinsed with Vinegar.

Putting a simple large tie strap or a ratchet strap around the lid seals any leaks completely. Without a lid reinforcement the only leaks that I would even worry about is if I hit a pothole pretty hard. I am putting a strap on my lid just to keep drops of stuff from getting on my radiator, paint etc. Also it keeps my hands dry when removing the case for inspection or whatever.