- creates brown goo
- the brown goo coats your electrodes and will limit production over time
- it is consumable by the process of electrolysis

White Vinegar (acetic acid) - H3C-COOH

- creates brown goo
- electrodes stay clean
- it is NOT consumable by the process of electrolysis

Sodium Hydroxide - NaOH

- creates brown goo (less than the other electrolytes)
- electrodes stay clean

Potasium Hydroxide - KOH

- does NOT create brown goo
- electrodes stay clean

futureofhho
08-10-2008, 05:14 AM
ck out: http://www.carolina.com/text/teacherresources/MSDS/potassiumhyp.pdf

futureofhho
08-10-2008, 05:21 AM
*safest* but still comes with goo.
http://www.carolina.com/text/teacherresources/MSDS/sodiumbicarb.pdf

"potassium hydroxide can be explosive in water"
-msds

dennis13030
08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
*safest* but still comes with goo.
http://www.carolina.com/text/teacherresources/MSDS/sodiumbicarb.pdf

"potassium hydroxide can be explosive in water"
-msds

I think this may be true but only in very high concentrations. Once again, people should be adding small amounts of potassium hydroxide(KOH) to a much larger amount of water. DO NOT ADD WATER TO PURE KOH!!!!

zepherz
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I think this may be true but only in very high concentrations. Once again, people should be adding small amounts of potassium hydroxide(KOH) to a much larger amount of water. DO NOT ADD WATER TO PURE KOH!!!!

I'm pretty new to this I am currently using Sodium bicarbonate. Is there information anywhere that tells how much KOH to use per amounts of water? Looks like this is the best electrolyte to use and would like to switch. Will this work in any unit or is the unit specifically built to use KOH?

Thanks.................

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm using 100% Sodium Hydroxide NaOH on 316L Stainless Plates. I'm not getting any brown goo, whatsoever. Even after 3 weeks of run time I've still got clear water. You can see my photos on my Jetta Thread for proof after 2 weeks running the generator every day without opening the case.

If you are using NaOH or KOH and your water is not clear then you have another problem. Somehow you got impurities in your water or on your building materials. You may be using something less than good quality Stainless Steel. I suggest cleaning your plates with GOJO brand hand cleaner and then rinsing with warm or hot water prior to assembly. After rinsing with the hot tap water, you can do a final rinse with Distilled to wash off any remaining impurities. Also note that assembly while wearing gloves is not easy. I find that if I scrub my hands with Pumice Hand cleaner before I begin the assembly It will remove any surface skin oils. If it takes you more than an hour to do the assembly then you should wash your hands again and then continue assembly.

I learned this trick from my studies in Martial Arts. I am a Ninja so when I clean my Hand Forged/Folded Steel Katana I begin by cleaning my hands thoroughly. I do not use white cotton gloves as some do because I clean the blade without touching the blade with my skin. I do however clean my hands and arms before beginning in case I slip up and touch the blade by accident. The blade has a really high carbon content and a slight smudge of skin oil will tarnish or rust the blade. It's not the oils that do the damage it's the acid in the oils. Some people ask why other body fluids do not damage the blade. Blood, Guts and other muscle tissues do not damage the blade very much because they do not contain a high level of acids. Good quality carbon steel blades do, however get damaged by stomach acids if it is not cleaned off ASAP. ;)

It is common for some people to do bench tests with Sodium Bicarbonate and the pour that out and switch to NaOH for a real life run. That will result in Slightly brown water from the Sodium Bicarbonate residue left on the plates from the bench test. If you bench test with Baking soda use a cleaner like GoJo with pumice prior to using NaOH or KOH.

bigapple
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
both NaOH and KOH are not involved in ur electrolytic reaction... theyre both very stable alone... the only reason u would get brown goo (rust) is if u had left over impurities in the cell when u put it together, like oils from ur skin, or left over baking soda from testing... u could also produce some rust if ur temperature gets high enough to boil the water... ive seen this firsthand

lemains
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
when you say 100% Sodium Hydroxide you mean:

- regular NaOH (flakes)

or

- pure NaOH (10 times more expensive)

??

Thanks,

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Roebic Crystal Drain Opener.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-285-drain-opener-chemicals/heavy-duty-crystal-drain-opener-637006.aspx

It can be purchased at Walmart in the hardware section. you can also get it at Home depot, Tractor Supply or other hardware stores.

I just found out that most of the stuff we buy for Hydrogen experimentation can be used in the manufacture of Methamphetamine. Avoid buying large quantities in order to avoid somebody knocking your door down in the middle of the night.

Also avoid running up a large power bill trying to make tons of GAS. That's another red flag to the police to get a warrant for you home. An abnormally big power bill indicates that you may be growing Weed in your basement or something.

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
You decide... HHO Lab or Meth Lab???:D

lemains
08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Mr. Smith

when you say 100% Sodium Hydroxide you mean:

- regular NaOH (flakes)

or

- pure NaOH (10 times more expensive)

??

Thanks,