PDA

View Full Version : Is galvanized steel pipe OK for container?

JojoJaro
08-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Can I use galvanized steel pipe as the container?

How about if I make that neg also? Will it corrode as negative?

JojoJaro
08-24-2008, 02:27 AM
So, no one has experience with Galvanized steel pipes for housing?

Come on guys, one of you probably tried this.

Smith03Jetta
08-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Nickel Plated would probably work but I don't know about Galvanization. All I know is that when you weld Galvanized steel it it extremely toxic. The heat from welding releases poison gas of some kind. I did not know this a few years ago and got sick for several weeks after I had welded some galvanized parts onto some steel parts. I had never heard about the toxicity before.

Has anybody used GOLD plated electrodes before? Gold, being a noble element, would not oxidize.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Can I use galvanized steel pipe as the container?

How about if I make that neg also? Will it corrode as negative?

It will corrode, you will see rust before too long.

And if you use the galvanized steel as an electrode, it will probably happen faster. And the galvanize coating will probably come off and be in your electrolyte.

But hey, you'll get tons of new surface area with all the rust.:D

I wouldn't use it.

Maybe that nicka-sil or whatever coating that they electro-plate cylinder walls with now-a-days. That stuff is supposed to be pretty tough.

JojoJaro
08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
What alternative do I have to stainless steel pipe? (Cheap Of course.) I want a metallic container so that I can conduct the heat away. PVC and ABS as just heat insulators.

godoveryou
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Titanium? I'd just use acrylic and chemically weld fins on it, put a fan alongside of it, and call it a day. Think heatsink.

GOY

BoyntonStu
08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
What alternative do I have to stainless steel pipe? (Cheap Of course.) I want a metallic container so that I can conduct the heat away. PVC and ABS as just heat insulators.

Try this cheap source of SS "pipe".

justaguy
08-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Just curious, is that a waffle iron? Have you tested the generator yet?

JojoJaro
08-24-2008, 12:37 PM

What's your production, amps and temps?

Painless
08-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Just curious, is that a waffle iron?

Everytime I see BoyntonStu's pot I get images of that chef from the muppets trying to make hydrogen in his kitchen.

justaguy
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Boynton, just having a little fun :) , glad to see you on board with the rest of us now.