PDA

View Full Version : Nomenclature: + - + - + -

BoyntonStu
08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
From this, at first glance there are 3 identical + and 3 identical - points.

In fact, there is a Battery +, a battery - and several plates connected to each other.

If the plates were batteries, OK.

In the case of cells, I find that the description may be misleading to some.

For example, why wouldn't a person connect all the + to the positive side of the battery? You can't tell the difference between a + and a +.

Here is my suggestion:

instead of + - + - + -

use: Bat (+) - + - + (-) Bat

Is this clearer or just as confusing?

Maybe someone will think of a better way.

BoyntonStu

Cyr
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Whether the + and - plates are powered individually, or in series, it won't make any difference.

I think I understand what you are saying.

Q-Hack!
08-09-2008, 04:50 PM
That actually does make since as these two are completely different designs:

Bat(+) Bat(-) Bat(+) Bat(-) Bat(+) Bat(-)

Where each plate is connected directly to the battery with its own wire

Bat(+) - + - + Bat(-)

Where only the outer two plates are connected directly to the battery.

The current standard of + - + - + - just doesn't express this.

BoyntonStu
08-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Bat(+) - + - + Bat(-)

Bravo! EXACTLY my point!

BoyntonStu

timetowinarace
08-09-2008, 08:13 PM
We've debated laymens terms on this board for some time now. I say 'laymens' terms because there are already international terms for electronics. Plate configureations are simple circuts. As such, there can be three types of circuts; series, parallel and series-parallel.

If everyone interested in electrolysis would learn at least basic electronics there would be less confusion when our plate configurations are explained.

The unit I'm playing with now consists of three sets of four plates wired in parallel and the sets are wired in series. A series-parallel circut.

For those with basic electronics knowledge the above statement should be easy to understand. Four plates in parallel is Bat(+) Bat(-) Bat(+) Bat(-). Take three of these parallel sets and wire them in series[Bat(+) - + - + Bat(-)] with each other. It's just much easier to use words like I did above than all this +-+-+- NNN B(+)B(-) crap. But, it seems few are catching on that 'electro' is a large part of this electro-lysis stuff.

HomeGrown
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Bat(+) - + - + Bat(-)

Electrically they're identical. Why would it be necessary to distinguish if the plates are connected directly to the battery? Only serves to muddle up an otherwise simple ASCII cell description.

BoyntonStu
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Electrically they're identical. Why would it be necessary to distinguish if the plates are connected directly to the battery? Only serves to muddle up an otherwise simple ASCII cell description.

Just the opposite.

If the plates are connected directly to the battery they are in parallel!

If you see + - + - + - What is connected to what?

If you see Bat(+) - + - + Bat(-) you know.

BoyntonStu

HomeGrown
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
But what's the difference, electrically, if you have an individual wire running from each plate directly to the battery vs. an in-cell jumper or, more typically, a heavy-duty buss to which the other plates are connected? Are not they essentially connected directly to the battery as well?

A typical example would be where someone uses a threaded rod to both mechanically hold and electrically connect plates. In a lot of cases, even the end plates aren't directly connected with a wire, only the threaded rod or bolt. We don't annotate unconnected plates as + or -, so the only option is that the plates are in parallel.

BTW: love your elevator! What did you use for the power lift mechanism? I gave some thought to doing something like that to access my attic from the garage. Eventually I just ended up installing pull-down stairs. My wife recently had a stroke, and is having a really hard time with the stairs. That elevator would be the cat's ass.

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 12:15 AM
But what's the difference, electrically, if you have an individual wire running from each plate directly to the battery vs. an in-cell jumper or, more typically, a heavy-duty buss to which the other plates are connected? Are not they essentially connected directly to the battery as well?

A typical example would be where someone uses a threaded rod to both mechanically hold and electrically connect plates. In a lot of cases, even the end plates aren't directly connected with a wire, only the threaded rod or bolt. We don't annotate unconnected plates as + or -, so the only option is that the plates are in parallel.

BTW: love your elevator! What did you use for the power lift mechanism? I gave some thought to doing something like that to access my attic from the garage. Eventually I just ended up installing pull-down stairs. My wife recently had a stroke, and is having a really hard time with the stairs. That elevator would be the cat's ass.

Perhaps this will clear it up for you.

Instead of using +, use the actual voltage instead of + - + - + -

Battery 12 V, 0, 12v, 0, 12V, 0 Battery Negative

This requires 6 leads to the battery.

That is certainly not:

Bat 12 V, 9V, 6V, 3V, 0 Battery Neg which requires only 2 leads.

(the 9,6,3 are drops to so-called "N" plates through the electrolyte.

Have I explained it O.K.?

BoyntonStu

scribs212
08-10-2008, 12:53 AM
If you connect the wires directly to the battery from each plate or if you connect them in parallel to another wire it is the same thing, parallel. If you jump the wires across each plate then thats series. Its basic high school physics.

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 06:35 AM
If you connect the wires directly to the battery from each plate or if you connect them in parallel to another wire it is the same thing, parallel. If you jump the wires across each plate then thats series. Its basic high school physics.

Please describe what you have written with + and -.

BoyntonStu

mario brito
08-10-2008, 07:29 AM

maybe it is for you and me, but sometimes you need a sign saying "don't dry your cat in the microwave" :)

for an expert, everything is logic, but we are trying to bring this "thecnology" to everyone, so, i'm sure it doesn't hurt to give a little more detail.

my best working configuration so far : B(+) NNN B(-) NNN B(+)

thanks

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 07:40 AM
maybe it is for you and me, but sometimes you need a sign saying "don't dry your cat in the microwave" :)

for an expert, everything is logic, but we are trying to bring this "thecnology" to everyone, so, i'm sure it doesn't hurt to give a little more detail.

my best working configuration so far : B(+) NNN B(-) NNN B(+)

thanks

Much clearer. Thanks.

Hydrogen when ionized is + and it attracted to -.

Have you tried reversing your battery connections with B(+) in the center?

Boyntonstu

mario brito
08-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Much clearer. Thanks.

Hydrogen when ionized is + and it attracted to -.

Have you tried reversing your battery connections with B(+) in the center ?

Boyntonstu

yes, many times, produces just a little less

right now, my problem isn't produtcion or configuration, it's SEALING everything. i will have to forget my SS container. it's too small, to hard to seal. oh well

thanks