PDA

View Full Version : Heating a building with HHO

midnight1957
08-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I have an 1800 square foot shop that I heat with oil which is very expensive now.
Does anyone know of a design of a hydrogen generator that may be used to heat my shop. Keep in mind that the size of the generator is not important, I could make it as big as it needed to be.
Also how would you do it, what kind of nozzle would you need?
Can you connect 110 AC current to a hydrogen generator, would it make more HHO than 12 volts DC?
I need to srart thinking about this before winter although we only have a few days in the teens here in SC.

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade

scribs212
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't know of any generators that would create enough gas to power a heater, but that doesnt mean its not possible. Once you get into producing that much HHO the cost of running the machine might be greater than what you're saving by not using oil. I would be interested in the designs you come up with, and how to impliment it into your heater? Are you planning on injecting the HHO into the heater somehow?

timetowinarace
08-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I have an idea for this but havn't worked out any details. It's just an idea.

I think I would try a 'boiler' system with the electrolyte as the boiler solution rather than just water. The idea behind it is that the electrolysis proccess makes heat on it's own, heating the electrolyte solution. So why not use the hho flame to also heat the solution and pump the solution through a heat exchanger/radiator? I see this as very effeciant becuase both forms of heat being produced, heat used in the electrolysis proccess and heat from flame, are heating the same medium and it's all going to heat shop.

I can describe more if interested but as I said, it's just an idea in my head at this point. It would use 120V mains power.

TreyNC
08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I think you need DC, AC does not work. I don't know why. Some one told me that and I used DC and got bubbles, then put the same wires in a 110V house hold outlet and nothing. You would just have to convert your AC to DC.

Walt
08-11-2008, 09:57 AM
My hunch is that the resistance heat from the HHO cells (usualy considered waste heat) is going to be as efficient (dollars and cents wize) as oil or propane heat. Whatever way you decide to burn the HHO for heat would be the bonus. Just be carefull! The following link is a guy who has an off grid house and he uses Hydrogen.

This might help.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdQRVQtffw

Walt

timetowinarace
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I think you need DC, AC does not work. I don't know why. Some one told me that and I used DC and got bubbles, then put the same wires in a 110V house hold outlet and nothing. You would just have to convert your AC to DC.

Not excactly correct, AC will work. There are reasons not to use it but it's not because it won't work.

The internals of most household appliances run off of DC. Only the source is AC. My statement of using AC mains power to run an electrolyser was intentional.