PDA

View Full Version : First timer making H2 generator on the dirt cheap

Ramses
10-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Hello. I have been interested in HHO for quite some time, but for someone in my position, it has been cost prohibitive to do it "properly". Instead, I will opt for a less efficient, yet EXTREMELY less costly solution. This is my first venture into electrolysis, so I want to make it as cheap as possible, yet still practical.

I plan on making an H2 wet cell in a sectioned 5 gallon PVC tank. Instead of your typical cell-in-a-jar format with five neutrals, it will be a bank of six isolated pairs (2v each) running in series, eliminating current leak. The anodes and cathodes will be stainless steel washers and bolts from Home Depot (likely SS304). The electrical connection to said electrodes will be outside the PVC, and sealed with O-rings. Also, if the water capacity falls below a certain point, the electrolysis will cease and the circuit will break. This is to ensure the electrolyte mix doesn't become too concentrated. I will be using lye for the electrolyte.

I have been studying the mechanics of HHO, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of it, but I am sure there are some things I should know. First, what would be a good reservoir capacity for cut-off? 70%? 75%? 80%? Second, how often should I replace the electrodes and the electrolyte mix? Third, am I missing anything else, and is this a good start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. For purists out there: Yes, I know H2 isn't as effective as HHO, but I can't really afford EFIE + MAP + O2 manipulation. Yes, I know a dry cell is far superior to a wet cell, but I can't afford the custom plating and gaskets. Yes, I know SS304 is WAY more prone to failure than SS316L, but I can't afford those kinds of electrodes (sort of). I'm planning on doing this whole project for less than $40.00. Dirt cheap.