PDA

View Full Version : fuse sensor

lemains
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
My cell draws aprox 25Amps when warmed up.

How to find out when the 30Amp fuse between the (+) terminal of the battery and the HHO cell fries?

Of course, you can open the hood and check. But it's kind of impractical opening the hood everyday to check if the fuse is ok.

I can also check the Ammeter.

Besides those options is there a way to put some kind of sensor so I know when the fuse blows .

Don't know much about electronics so sorry if this sounds stupid.

Thanks a lot,

Painless
08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds to me like you would be better off with a breaker instead, you'll be able to simply flick it back on when it breaks.

You can also connect a resistor and LED / bulb in parallel with the fuse, this should cause the current to flow through the light when the fuse blows. If I remember correctly, you will need a 680 ohm resistor.

lemains
08-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your quick reply,

So if I understood well, I can connect the 680 ohm resistor in parallel with the breaker. So, when I see the light ON, I could just go and flick the breaker back on.

Right?

dennis13030
08-08-2008, 06:21 PM
You can also connect a resistor and LED / bulb in parallel with the fuse, this should cause the current to flow through the light when the fuse blows. If I remember correctly, you will need a 680 ohm resistor.

This is a cute way to do this.

I would prefer to design the electrolyzer such that in normal operation, it would not blow a fuse or circuit breaker. Some circuit breakers do have indicators of the "BLOWN" condition.

There are also resettable fuses. When they go into their limit condition, they heat up and open the circuit. When they open, they cool down and close again.

Jaxom
08-08-2008, 06:37 PM
This not a bad idea for testing purposes. Get a 30amp power window breaker for an older car and it'll be self resetting.....then you can use the LED in parallel as an "overcurrent indicator." I would certainly not run one like this all the time, but it could be useful for dialing in your electrolyte mix and for experimenting under actual operating conditions.

lemains
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info

Are there resettable breakers that reset automaticly?