PDA

View Full Version : my first build, finally!!

TwinTurbo
05-04-2013, 09:39 PM
After repeatedly changing my mind i finally decided on this design. I built this first one just to test the basic design and so made it bipolar. I like it for the simplicity - less sealing areas to leak, easy to disassemble for cleaning and inspection if necessary, strength and ability to withstand moderate pressures as well as being able to reconfigure it for different experiment and testing purposes. So far i have no performance data other than it works and i have had it up to 20 psi with no leaks. I am going to be building a multiple cell unit based on this design out of a single sheet of hdpe and wiring it up as a unipolar reactor. I had the plates made with a unipolar design in mind with the offset tabs and the extra tab for an additional connection if necessary. I placed the outlet below the connections to keep them out of the water (not sure if it really matters and its easy to change), i realize this will create a small pocket of gas that could ignite if a connection became loose and sparked but i dont think that is likely. I may do some pressure testing with compressed air just to see how much it can withstand if there were such an event.. I just sliced up some latex tubing for spacers between the plates and there is some pressure from the two outside plates keeping them from moving. Thats it for now. Any thoughts?

Stevo
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Very interesting build. I haven't seen a design like that to date. Good work! I like the idea of having a unit that is mostly sealed up with out exposed plates. Post up some bench test results and let us know how it performs.