PDA

View Full Version : Potasium Hydroxide corrosive?

SargentMcFluff
12-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi, My name's Alexander. I have some knowledge on HHO. I'm building a wet cell out of 4 or 6 inch pvc and just some stainless steel plates. As a cooling system I am using a windshield washer fluid pump and a small radiator to help cool it. The problem is since the potassium hydroxide is corrosive... would it eat away at the pump and the radiator or would it just eat away at the radiator only or would it do nothing at all? And if possible how long would it last until it would leak? (radiator and or pump.) I've been racking my brain with it because i never used potassium hydroxide before an don't really know first off how vol ital it is. so if you could really help me that would be awesome. Thanks.

D.O.G
12-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi, My name's Alexander. I have some knowledge on HHO. I'm building a wet cell out of 4 or 6 inch pvc and just some stainless steel plates. As a cooling system I am using a windshield washer fluid pump and a small radiator to help cool it. The problem is since the potassium hydroxide is corrosive... would it eat away at the pump and the radiator or would it just eat away at the radiator only or would it do nothing at all? And if possible how long would it last until it would leak? (radiator and or pump.) I've been racking my brain with it because i never used potassium hydroxide before an don't really know first off how vol ital it is. so if you could really help me that would be awesome. Thanks.

You need to find out what your radiator and pump are made out of, then check a chemical compatibility chart (plenty on the web) to see if they can be used with KOH.

If you want my uninformed opinion, the pump is probably OK for a weak concentration.
Instead of a radiator, maybe you could run PVC tubing back and forth in front of your car's radiator.
If it needs more cooling than that ... you're doing it wrong.:o

SargentMcFluff
12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks that really helped:)