PDA

View Full Version : Help / Comments / Suggestions

lightsycle
10-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Hello all. I have just registered, but have been here a few times to look up info. I currently have a HHO generator.

Pictures here: http://s49.beta.photobucket.com/user/lightsycle/library/HHO%20Project

It is a submerged cell, 6 single plate cells in series. Currently I have about 1.5-2 cups water and 88g KOH per cell. It runs for hours, never gets hot, pullls about 6-7.5 amps, but does not put out the amount of HHO I would like.

(original calculation was 440g water / 88g KOH per cell. I know this to be wrong now. Boyce says 20% by weight is optimal.)

Initially I wanted to build a torch. The flame I'm currently get is teeny-tiny, not enough to be useful except lighting the fire pit. My cell construction is loosely created from Bob Boyce's instructions. I have not run my genny at low solutions for days to clean the plates. They still produce some white solid (I would say powder, but it's all in the solution) particles. Maybe the plates are not clean enough yet. They are scrap stainless, sanded, slightly magnetized, probably 304 by the way.

I have an old PC power supply which I modified to supply the genny because I was having trouble with the motor/alt working together. The reason I use the alt is because it puts out 14.3v vs the 12.1 (which drops to 11.3 loaded) from the PSU. I'm still having problems with supplying power. At more that 10A the alt bogs, motor has trouble and I don't want to burn up anything. When using the PSU anything more that 12 amps trips the PSU and it shuts off until unplugged. I'm so F***ing frustrated.

I can get more KOH, or NaOH, but I'm just kinda stuck. any help or suggestions would be welcome. Feel free to ask more Q's if need be.

lightsycle
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
No one has anything to say? I thought for sure someone would have some comment or something.

RustyLugNut
10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
No one has anything to say? I thought for sure someone would have some comment or something.

No one does this forum as a full time vocation. And we miss posts between looksies.

Your work looks impressive. But, it is obvious the power supply is the limiting factor in producing HHO. You need amperes to produce HHO gas and you need voltage to drive current through more cells. As it looks, your alternator is providing you about 100 watts of power. Since you are building a torch, wall power is available to you with 1500 W or more to use. If you are comfortable with high voltage and high power electronics, you can rectify the wall voltage to DC and design a voltage/amperage controlled output.

lightsycle
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM
My intention is to eventually make this work in a vehicle, so I am trying to stay with alternator power. Currently the only way I have of controlling the amperage flow is by controlling the concentration of KOH in the solution. I've seen people on here post they use 28%. Currently I have 440g H2O and 110g KOH per cell which is 20% be weight. Another 22g KOH will give me 28% be weight. That's not right. My calculations are at home. That's 23%....

Does anyone have a suggestion for current control? Something pre-made? make my own? Schematics?

Thanks.

lightsycle
11-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm 62g KOH short per cell. Using my original calculations of 440g / cell, 28% is ~172g KOH per. I currently have 110g per.