PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water only?

ramo109
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
What would happen If you use ditilled water only in the generator. Thats what I did and the water turns brownish-redish with particles on the bottom everything is made of stainless steel execept container (Water filtter)

ICEMAN.KCMO
08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
what kind of electrolizer are you using?? are you using baking soda??? of so... get rid of that stuff... go and get some lye...

ramo109
08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I was using sodium hydroxide but it sterted overheating then I went to baking soda but i diddnt see a difference between regular water and baking soda so i just use plain water .. im wondering if this is good or not cause the water turns brown.

bigapple
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I was using sodium hydroxide but it sterted overheating then I went to baking soda but i diddnt see a difference between regular water and baking soda so i just use plain water .. im wondering if this is good or not cause the water turns brown.

u mustve had some left over baking soda whenever u cleaned out ur generator... if u still have brown water that means ur making rust (FeO) which is a byproduct of using baking soda (NaHCO3) in ur electrolytic reaction... potash and lye are the best u can go with...they are true catalysts and are not part of the reaction which means the only products that will be made are O2 and H2 (and maybe a negligable amount of other stuff)... and if u cleaned it out already then ull probably burn up the baking soda thats left over so i wouldnt worry about it

EDIT: wrong formula for rust and sodium bicarb

dennyk159
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Also, you said you used plain water. If it came from your tap, it has lots of impurities in it. It could have dissolved iron if you have iron pipes. I use nothing but deionized water (only because we have an abundance of it where I work) & NaOH or KOH. Distilled is good choice too.

hahaboy
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
reverse omosis water work