PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start

scribs212
08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm looking to start a cell, but we don't have any of the materials I need, and I don't really know where to start. I want to do a plate design with alternating polarity of the plates. I'm looking to place them inside of a PVC pipe turned upside down. One problem, I cannot locate any stainless steel hardware anywhere, and I have no clue where to get PVC pipes that are small enough for what i need. The local hardware store doesn't carry any stainless that I know of, and their PVC selection is pathetic.

Smith03Jetta
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Where are you? If you do not have any local stores and can't travel you must order on the internet.

scribs212
08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
I live in a very small town that has a farm and fleet, but they don't have much of a selection, in order to get anything I'd have to drive to 'the cities', which is 20 minutes away, to purchase anything, they have a lowes, menards, and few other hardware stores like that all the way out there... I just don't really know what I'm looking for. What would make a good sealed container? I have some jars, but i would like something that is efficient and portableish.

Smith03Jetta
08-07-2008, 07:27 AM
It depends on your budget. I would recommend, hands down, building a generator using a Pelican Case as a container. Take a look at my two threads and you will see what I'm talking about. I have not yet found a better container. I purchased each of mine for under $50.00 USD. If the City has a dive shop or a large hunting shop or boating shop you may be able to find one. Hunters/police/military use the cases to store guns/cameras/sensitive equipment. Divers use them to store cameras/regulators. Boaters use them for the same purpose. They are water proof, tough as nails and resist heat up to over 200F. They come in many different sizes from very small to very large.

I thought you were in the arctic when you said there was no place near you to buy supplies. 20 minutes? That's no distance. Really all you need is a case, some sheet metal, zip ties, Stainless bolts and a few hoses and fittings.

Have fun.

HomeGrown
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow, you act as if a 20 min. drive to "all the way out there" is a big deal to get what you need. If that's the case, you really shouldn't start this project, seriously. I would recommend buying a pre-built, all-inclusive system, because it will probably take several trips to "the city" by the time it's all said and done.
The Lowe's by me sells 2' lengths of PVC pipe pretty cheap, and they also have the stainless steel switch plates you'd need, as well as the stainless steel and nylon hardware. I would think that Farm & Fleet would at least have the stainless hardware.

If you honestly don't know what you're looking for or where to start, it's definately NOT the time to go shopping. Or go and familiarize yourself with what's available, but don't buy anything until you're certain of what you want to do and how you want to do it. Knowing what's available is a big help when mentally putting everything together. If you really want to build one, I'd take a look at Smacks booster, which is a proven design.

scribs212
08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Well with gas at $4 a gallon, and I walk to work every day it is a long ways. I only fill my tank up once, maybe twice a month. Mostly I use my motorcycle that is tuned for E85, but even then I hardly travel. When I start back at school here I'll be driving there every day, so I'm trying to enjoy not buying gas right now.

Smith03Jetta
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Well if you aren't buying gas then you shouldn't really be worried about how to build a device to save gas unless you are planning on buying gas in the future.

Here's the skinny: You will make many trips back and forth to various stores. You will spend several hundred dollars on various things like switches, fuses, wire, hoses, fittings, sealant, Containers, Plates, Water, Electrolyte, nuts, bolts, solder, tools, gauges, funnels and other stuff. You will probably discard 90% of it eventually until you get your design working.

If you have a fuel injected car you will probably spend another hundred dollars on some electronic devices to trick out your O2 Sensor.

You will spend several hundred dollars on gasoline while you are testing your device as well. If you are not buying very much gasoline right now I would not suggest that you embark on this endeavor.

c02cutter
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok smith I quit!!!, I only fill my tank about once a month...lol

mario brito
08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
come on guys... go easy on him :)

if you whant to start experimenting with HHO, you don't need much. a power source, any car battery will do assuming you can recharge it.

any plastic container will work fine for the first experiments, before you whant to seal it to measure the production.

you can find SS in the kitchen section on your local supermarket. forks, knifes, anything that's made of SS will do in the begining. i've made several test with SS knifes, to see the differences with and without neutral plates, more or less positive and negative plates, etc.

you should buy a multimeter and learn how to work with it if you don't know already.

so, start small, learn the basics, do baby steps, don't waste too much money, READ ALL you can find, READ ALL Mr. Smith's posts. this forum has almost everything you need. read, read, read and test, test, test :)

and don't forget, HAVE FUN ! :)

thanks

scribs212
08-07-2008, 09:20 PM
---Warning Long Post =D---
Thank you Mario. My point was, right now im not driving very much, but between my girlfriend and I we will be driving 140-200 miles a week. I do like the idea of saving gas, but more or less I really like to tinker with things and new ideas. I want to do something that doesnt have a cookie cutter mold where you just go out and buy a kit and make it, even though there are some of those for HHO. Currently, I'm working on getting a engineering degree in chemistry and mechanical because I wish to work on cars and alternative fuels and things such as this.

I am looking for something to increase the mileage in my motorcycle. I have recently converted it over to run E85 and I have lost about 26-28% of my FE. I hope to reverse that with the use of HHO. I do have a means of completely controlling the fuel system throughout all RPM's and diffent throttle positions. I am planning on purchasing a wideband o2 sensor to test with my current E85 setup, but I am curious how HHO would affect the sensors.

I have also thought about using propane as a means to "increase" my fuel mileage by using a pressure regulator, set to a low setting, and a nitrous stolenoid hooked into the ignition wire. Although this type of a setup has never been done before to my knowledge and it would be quite dangerous. I had alot of trouble looking for cables to run from the 16oz propane tank, and refilling the tank would be an issue.

I have put in HID bulbs that use 20 less watts to run, so there is less of a load on the electrical system. Now I have that extra electricity to run the HHO system because the motorcycle strator doesnt put out very much electricity in the first place. I am looking for an HHO system small enough to put under the seat of my motorcycle, which is very small BTW. I don't technically have a car right now, but in the future I wish to expiriment with a car.

I am also interested in creating hydrogen and oxygen using solar energy, storing them separatly, and then reintroducing them together into the air intake for an even greater increase in fuel mileage. I doubt this will be possible on such a small scale as the motorcycle, but I think it may work for a car. I do not believe this has been done before because the technology just hasn't been there, but with the new MIT research I do believe it can be done with somewhat effectiveness.