PDA

View Full Version : Questions about HHO and ECM

ggipson79
08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
People,
Forgive my ignorance but I thought once you built your HHO system and tied it into your PCV valve that was it?!? What is all this I am reading about tricking the ECM/MAP/O2 sensors? Is this a requirement? What happens if I dont do it?

I have a 2007 Kia Spectra 2.0L 4cyl

I get 30 MPG stock and I recently added a cold air intake from Auto Zone that jumped me up to 37 MPG. (not that this pertains to my original question).

Can someone please elaborate for me before I install HHO and screw someing up?

Please either post or email me directly @ psigerald@gmail.com

`Gerald

Painless
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
On vehicles with an o2 sensor the problem is as follows:

The more efficient burn within the cylinders results in a much higher oxygen content within the exhaust gases, this is reported by the o2 sensor back to the ECU. The ECU decides that more oxygen in the system means that it is running too lean (oxygen didn't react with gasoline as part of the burn) and it increases the air-fuel ratio. This offsets the gains in MPG, to what extent depends on each different vehicle.

Don't be put off! There are ways around these problems, some use an EFIE (search for this term on the forums) to modify the signal from the o2 sensor. There are other methods too.

This section of the forum is dedicated to ECU issues:

Engine Computer Integration (http://www.hhoforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)

Don't lose heart! There are plenty of people here that will be only to eager to help you.

scirockett
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
IMO the o2 sensor mod is the safest method. The o2 sensor is not used all the time, and you don't want to cut your fuel all the time.. (or maybe you do, but I fear lean conditions). An o2 sensor mod will help you save fuel on the highway as cruising burn conditions can safely be as lean as 17 or 18:1. At WOT, ideally the mixture should be stoich (13.5:1) but most shoot for richer (12:1) for a cooler burn and prevention of detonation. now at WOT, the O2 sensor should not even be used.

just my quick .02.

not to start anything, but I do find it had to believe a cone filter gave you 7mpg unless your previous air filter was a disaster. I usually call them Hot air intakes because now you're pulling hot air from the engine bay instead of the factory box that pulls cold, splash protected air. Some make a shield to protect these filters from hot air in the bay and route in cold air one way or another. but I probably shouldn't have even gone here.. If you have an obd2 reader, take a look at intake air temps, you'll likely find they're higher now. but hell, the car should sound alot meaner!

ggipson79
08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, scirockett, in my particular instance it did increase my mileage. It also gave me a little more *umph (not much since it is a 4cyl) and it does sound meaner. I paid about $75 for the kit at Auto Zone and I thought, "what the hey, if it dont work I will take it back". They fella at Auto Zone that told me about it also has a Kia and gets between 37 and 40 MPG since putting it on his car.

Anyways, I will look at what to do with the O2 sensor from the other threads.
Do either of you guys have a prefernce as to tie the HHO into the PCV valve with a "T" or does it matter?