PDA

View Full Version : Help with plates

j1walters
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I was wondering if these plates on ebay sound like a bad idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/316L-stainless-steel-18-gauge-hho-browns-gas-hydrogen-generator-door-kick-plate-/180931709976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a205ecc18#ht_2320wt_1165

From what I research on here all the time, my gut is telling me yes.

If I was to get my own sheet metal(SS316Ga), do I blast both sides VERY lightly? If I can't get my hands on media blasting due to price, what is an alternative to media blasting?

Havens78
08-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I was wondering if these plates on ebay sound like a bad idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/316L-stainless-steel-18-gauge-hho-browns-gas-hydrogen-generator-door-kick-plate-/180931709976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a205ecc18#ht_2320wt_1165

From what I research on here all the time, my gut is telling me yes.

If I was to get my own sheet metal(SS316Ga), do I blast both sides VERY lightly? If I can't get my hands on media blasting due to price, what is an alternative to media blasting?

If its really 316L that's really what you need for your plates. If you can't media blast, use a sanding block and 30 or 40 grit sandpaper. Sand in an X pattern then horizontal and finally up and down in the direction of the gas going out. And when I say sand I don't just mean a little bit, by the time you finish you should have removed the surface of the metal from the plate. I won't lie to you this will be a lot of work. This is not as good as media blasting but I understand the cost factor.

Remember to look up "Passivation", and weld-on through the forum search. These will help your process along while building your reactor.

I added some pics of some plates I had to sand before media blasting them. Don't take it as gospel, its just my experience with plate preparation.

Havens

j1walters
08-02-2012, 09:39 PM
What are the rectangular holes for on the top and bottom of your plates? Also, what is an ideal size for plates? I am thinking of making mine rectangular with hho traveling the short distance upward and out the top.

Havens78
08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Those plates came from a kit that I purchased before I found all the information here and i was working on improving the unit, please don't take them as a reference for your future build.

A rectangular setup would be best if you have the room, and I would size the plates for what you are needing production wise. Remember 1/2 Amp per sq. in of surface area, so if you need 1lpm you'll need 28 sq. in on side of one plate for a single stack. If you want to do two stacks you can cut that in half so your setup would be +nnnnn-nnnnn+.

If you have a way to cut slots for the gas-outlets at the top of the plate those are best, with an inlet hole that staggers from left to right near the lower part of the plate. You want as much distance between the inlet holes as you can with allowing your inlet hole to still be 1" away from your gaskets.

Make any sense?

j1walters
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I planned on doing a 14 cell -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-. The only thing troubling me right now are the ports. When I place the input and exit port, do I have ports on both sides of the cell or just one? Should I have two barbs for input and two for exit? I know to keep ports an inch away from sides.

Lastly, in order for a great escape for hho out of the exit port, what kind of holes should be on the upper portion of the plates. I have seen some straight holes down the middle and three holes horizontally. Myoldyourgold stated in one post on reduceyourfuelbill.com to have slots instead of round holes. I am thinking of doing sideways slots (putting in a quarter sideways), but I wonder how big the slot and should I do three straight across the top of the cell.

Thanks for looking at my posts by the way.

j1walters
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
so your saying don't get the plates from ebay, but buy from online metal store and do my own sanding and passivation?

Havens78
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
It doesn't matter where you get your plates from, just as long as they are 316L and the gauge you want to use. You can do your own prep once you have the metal.

As far as porting i have built a unit with slots at the top, but have more experience with units built with a hole at the bottom and hole at top. I haven't had a chance to test the slotted unit yet, but i'm sure that it will flow better as myoldyourgold has been at this quite a while and knows what he is doing. I used a 1/4" drill bit and a cut-off wheel from my slots, its not pretty but I think it will do the job. See the pic below, just don't look too close at how uneven the slots are.

myoldyourgold
08-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Havens78, That is a very good plate design. You have done an excellent job!! Keep us posted on the final results.

j1walters
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Myoldyourgold, I saw your post talking about magnetizing could you explain how to magnitize? I have looked but have been left clueless.

j1walters
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Havens, I see you have cut corners. I read that the hho production is less effective when corners are cut. Do you know if it makes a diffence? Also about porting I am wondering about the barbed fitting. Do you have two for gas and two for water (one on each side) or what seems to be the best route?

Quebecker
08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi,

Here is my 6" * 6" plates design

Sand Blasted and holes insulate with IPS Weld-on 16

One Input hole: 1/4"
2 outpout hole: 5/16" (On my next generator, outpout hole will be 3/8/)

EPDM Gasket 1/16" et HPDE Endplade
2 stacks +NNNNN-F-NNNNN+ (F for full gasket)

http://hho-rimouski.yolasite.com/resources/P7220191.JPG.opt451x338o0,0s451x338.JPG

The reactor during cleaning process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxMV9puZjys

Havens78
08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Havens, I see you have cut corners. I read that the hho production is less effective when corners are cut. Do you know if it makes a diffence? Also about porting I am wondering about the barbed fitting. Do you have two for gas and two for water (one on each side) or what seems to be the best route?

I cut the corners of the neutral plates so that my power plates had square edges on them, I want to keep the connections close. And as far as the barbed fittings go i will have 1 inlet and 2 outlet for each stack. The stacks will be separated from each other so they are fed by the same reservoir but each side will have its own inlet and 2 outlets. This way I can test them separately if i need to or run them together while still monitoring the flow from each stack. I plan to drill from the top and sides for my inlet ports and outlet ports so that my fittings go in the side of the 3/4" and out the top. I'll get to these if I can this week and try to take a picture.

Havens78
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Myoldyourgold, I saw your post talking about magnetizing could you explain how to magnitize? I have looked but have been left clueless.

I don't have the D9 on this computer or i would upload it. I magnetize my plates by stacking them in the order they will be assembled and wrapping them with 10 ga insulated solid copper wire about a dozen times. I leave about 10 inches on each end of the wire and 'tap' the bare ends of the wire on the positive and negative ends of a battery i have on the bench. I only do this 5 or 6 times as the wire gets hot very quickly and i'm not trying to make the plates a permanent electromagnet. Did i mention just to tap the wire? Okay, because you don't want it getting stuck trust me.

I don't have scientific proof that it helps, only the experience that it seems to help gas flow. So this is purely my own experience and what I do as part of the conditioning process, so its up to you if you want to try it.

j1walters
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Yea do please send pics.

j1walters
08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Are you gaskets an inch or half an inch wide?

Havens78
08-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Are you gaskets an inch or half an inch wide?

Those gaskets are 1/2" wide and 45 mil thickness.

j1walters
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Are you suppose to keep the slot one inch from the top or does it not really matter with slots? I was reading myoldyourgold's set of guidelines.

Havens78
08-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Are you suppose to keep the slot one inch from the top or does it not really matter with slots? I was reading myoldyourgold's set of guidelines.

When I did mine I wanted the top of the exit slots to be at the bottom of the gasket. I'll hopefully know how well it all works in the next week of so if I can actually get time in the garage.

Havens78
08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Yea do please send pics.

As requested here are the pictures of what i'm currently working on. The gas out is plumbed through the middle of the endplate and out next the slot in the plate. The markings are just for my reference and will disappear when i hit the endplate with acetone before assembly. Water in is plumbed through the side and out inside the plate opposite of the first plates' inlet hole.

Still need to clean things up a bit and make sure things will flow correctly. Both endplates are done this way and the center plate is plumbed so that there are outlets for both sides of plates separated so I could run one stack of plates independently of the other if i needed to.

j1walters
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
What's the reason for the barbs on the endplates like you have instead of putting them on the sides?

Havens78
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
What's the reason for the barbs on the endplates like you have instead of putting them on the sides?

Just to make the reactor as thin as possible, my vehicles are very short on room and this provides me a smooth side for mounting bolts/straps without having to worry about the connections.

j1walters
08-11-2012, 05:14 PM
If the input hole is suppose to be half the size or less than of the exit port, how big are the holes you have going out(gas) of the end plate?

aceras624
08-12-2012, 02:37 AM
If the input hole is suppose to be half the size or less than of the exit port, how big are the holes you have going out(gas) of the end plate?

twice the size, duh :)

j1walters
08-12-2012, 05:51 AM
just wondering because his pictures don't look like it.

Havens78
08-12-2012, 06:57 AM

You're correct that i'm using the same fittings for inlet and outlet, i just have twice as many. And as these endplates aren't finished yet I will be drilling out larger areas in the endplate for the gas to escape into before going up the outlet holes.

And if this doesn't work as well as I hoped I'll simply take it apart and try bigger holes. I'm only looking at making 1 LPM at most from each stack so I don't need to large of fittings.

james23
11-09-2012, 06:52 PM
An effective method of stripping all metal types, Plastic Media Blasting removes all or a portion of a cured powder coating from the surface of a part without causing damage. This article compares Plastic Media Blasting with several other stripping methods for powder coating, environmental considerations, as well as blasting equipment and costs.