PDA

View Full Version : Making the EFIE work

sjrobinson
07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
So the EFIE I bought was fine, and I installed it correctly. Yet, like I said in another post- the LEDs would not come on correctly. The Activity LED is supposed to light up after 30 seconds and turn off when the engine is under load. All the lights came on. It did lean out my engine. Its just that when I needed power I did not have any.

So the issue is with my car it seems. And its been having a few issues anyway. Between surging or an occasional drop in power when accelerating. And the problem cannot be pinpointed.

Are there any common issues found with cars where the EFIE does not work properly like that? My o2 sensors are new.

I'm trying to learn how the EFIE shuts itself on and off in certain situations. Seems there is a threshold voltage from what I read.

waxisurfer
08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
I think that has to do with either a clogged fuel filter or your fuel pump is going out. I know what your talking about when you press the gas and it kinda cuts out on you, then regains power... I would say that is your first problem I would look into that before doing more with hho. Fuel pumps are a pain to put in... sometimes and can cost 200 or more bucks so plan wisely.

myoldyourgold
08-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Your EFIE is working properly. I suggest you solve the issues with your car first. EFIE's hooked up properly and with the right ratio of HHO to fuel you will not loose HP and still get gains. This is part of tuning. You will not be able to tune something that is not working properly to begin with. Could be a host of things wrong like has been already mentioned. Start with a properly running vehicle first and then add your HHO/EFIE. An EFIE and proper HHO system will not cause the problems you are describing when done right.

sjrobinson
08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes, well this issue had not been an issue when I had first started this project. But there have been so many variables I have not been able to find a correlation and at first the issue had not seemed to impact my HHO tests.

But just as all my posts seem to turn into a discussion on this issue...
I'm wondering with each thing I find that relates to the issue if theres something that just gives off what it is. So here, the fact that the EFIE was set up correctly and yet it would not work points towards an O2 sensor. Would it make sense that my upstream sensor could be faulty?

whear
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Could be your spark plugs. Or the wires that power them.

Just sayin'.

sjrobinson
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Could be. But the strongest indication here is the fact that the car surges for a moment as soon as it goes into closed loop. I also sometimes have a low idle after I rev the engine a bit- since its a manual- to move slowly.

I'm gonna start with the IACV

Yet I dont think the IACV would affect the function of an EFIE. Thats another indication is that the EFIE would not work correctly even though it was hooked up right. Could an O2 sensor go bad and not show a check engine light?

sjrobinson
09-01-2012, 02:50 AM
The problem is solved when I did my intake manifold swap. Its a better manifold and I cleaned a little gunk off the IAC. I do notice the o2 sensor is now reading a little differently. Sometimes its dropping down to 0volts. But no CEL, no pending code and my MPGs are the same

Madsceintist
09-01-2012, 07:20 AM
The problem is solved when I did my intake manifold swap. Its a better manifold and I cleaned a little gunk off the IAC. I do notice the o2 sensor is now reading a little differently. Sometimes its dropping down to 0volts. But no CEL, no pending code and my MPGs are the same

Did you get the surging to go away?

sjrobinson
09-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Yup. All the issues are gone. I just have to do a few touch ups with the vacuum seals in the manifold but everything is working right.