PDA

View Full Version : retarding and caliberating

Jamesleaper
07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I was about to have my pump retarded by one degree, but then thought, doesn't the fuel have to be reduced to match the increase in hho supply. Not knowing how that is done, are the two done at the same time and as i understand i have to caliberate the fuel mix, so this would mean a number of adjustments to the fuel. What is the procedure? do i get the pump altered one degree and see how it goes, or alter the fuel mix at the same time. I need to explain this to my mechanic, so if anyone can give me a procedure that he would understand, i would appreciate it. thanks jim

BioFarmer93
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
retard first, then decrease fuel delivery in small increments until you are satisfied with the performance/mileage ratio.

RustyLugNut
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I was about to have my pump retarded by one degree, but then thought, doesn't the fuel have to be reduced to match the increase in hho supply. Not knowing how that is done, are the two done at the same time and as i understand i have to caliberate the fuel mix, so this would mean a number of adjustments to the fuel. What is the procedure? do i get the pump altered one degree and see how it goes, or alter the fuel mix at the same time. I need to explain this to my mechanic, so if anyone can give me a procedure that he would understand, i would appreciate it. thanks jim

The effects off HHO on classic diesel engines is entirely different from gasoline spark ignition engines.

Depending on how much H2 you inject, the heat release from the time of injection is delayed. As you put in more, the delay increases, until you reach the 4% H2 point and at which it starts to move the other direction and at some point, you have H2 as the predominant flame front and you have an advanced heat release even before the end of diesel injection.

In your case, I would do nothing to your injection pump. I would vary your HHO production until you find something that works for you.

myoldyourgold
07-05-2012, 01:51 PM
In layman's terms it is a balance between HHO, fuel and air that must be achieved. All of this at the right time too. If you have no good cheap easy means of leaning and retarding over the different demands of the engine, you have to stay with small amounts of HHO. (less than 4% which is a ratio of HHO to air in classical science) I am not convinced that we understand what exactly happens in the compression cycle especially in diesels but also with other fuels. If we are creating more explosive gases, and there is some evidence that we are, then there is possibly an advantage to retarding the injection timing if this is happening enough with small amounts of HHO.

The amount of timing to retard would be difficult to state because of the amount of unknown gases that are possibly being formed, and the fact that fuel volume of the charge changes based on demand where the HHO does not, in most cases. Because of the consent volume of HHO retarding might do more harm than good at certain volumes of diesel fuel/air/HHO. This is where electronic fuel injection of diesel has an advantage over the mechanical injection because this can be controlled by the computer or an after market controller. All of this makes it more complex to get larger gains than just injecting less than 4% HHO to air. Small gains are available by matching the amount of HHO to the load that the engine is in most of the time. On long trips, (cruising) less HHO is required and in town, (short runs going through the gears) more HHO is required (demand is higher). Gains very widely in diesels that remain at the stock settings but if no gains are made the engine still runs much smoother, produces less pollutants, oil stays cleaner, temperatures come down slightly, etc. All of this results in an engine possibly lasting longer and less maintenance expense.

RustyLugNut
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
It is far more complex than it appears. And it is well understood by industry.

The interactions occur at the flame edge. Hydrogen accentuates the rich species generation and this causes a concentration of heat release.

Now, when modern multi injection diesels are encountered, the pre injection results in a hybrid situation with the addition of HHO. The HHO is already working on the pre injected diesel before the main power injection events occur. Some of the greatest gains I have seen have been on these kinds of engines.