PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Surging- HELP

sjrobinson
06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
So, this issue has been happening more and more- it used to be on occasion over the past several months. You can see my other post for more details on the surging thats happening.

This morning though, I was driving and the car was idling low, it started to surge as I was driving and I could feel it start to die. And my car stalled and would not turn back on in the middle of an inner section during morning rush hour.

Fortunately I was able to push my car to the side of the road I was turning onto. I immediately check my stinking MAP sensor enhancer. I turned it all the way off and the car started up again. Afterwards I took it out and just connected the two wires together. But now I'm having bad issues. The idle is very low and the surging occurs every time I start up the car and start to drive. It eventually smooths out but at an idle I can hear the exhaust fluctuating. While the RPMs remain the same.

I have Pulstar Pulse Plugs- I'm not sure if they're now causing an issue or the MAP sensor enhancer messed up my already dying MAP sensor (since this issue has been occurring from before I put the enhancer in)
This happens both when HHO is running and when it is not.

A vacuum leak could be the issue, however, I'm not sure where to look.

I'm rereading my old post too but heres an update...

Madsceintist
06-22-2012, 04:06 AM
What type of car; year, make, model, engine and color of the headliner?

:D Just kidding about the headliner. :D

shearinfinity
06-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Check your pulstar plugs, i had one completely die and stop working for no reason in under 8k miles, it will cause horrid idle and engine performance running if plug is missing. My plugs werent overheated, or too rich or anything, it physically looked really good. But just didnt fire at all.

Pulstar will replace in advance for free at least.

sjrobinson
06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
97 accord ex 2.2L

Madsceintist
06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
97 accord ex 2.2L
So you had the iac off? Have you cleaned the throttle plate inside and out? The majority of honda's that surge are the iac is sticking or the plate screw has been adjusted! What is the mileage on your car?

sjrobinson
06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I did not clean the IAC. I have cleaned the throttle body, intake manifold and EGR. On my car, the IAC is almost impossible to take off since its up against the firewall. I will look into any techniques on how to get it off but I do know on hondas they have two IACs. One can be tightened as you described.

But before I do all that I decided to buy concentrated fuel injector cleaner. Since Ill ran my gas tank awfully low wednesday, the day before this issue got really bad, Im going to see if crap has just been getting into the fuel system. That would make sense as to why I have no check engine light.

I'm gonna go through this tank and see if it works. It explains why my idle is low and rough and the MAP sensor enhancer caused my engine to stall. (Regardless I'm 86ing the enhancer and just doing the EFIE).

If it doesn't work then I will look into the IAC.

I did replace the pulse plugs with my old NGKs. The car had the same issue but is not having the issue everytime I start it up now. I'm not sure if they did something.

BTW my car has 188k. But it is actually in remarkably good condition considering. Of course its a Honda is why :)

Madsceintist
06-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I did not clean the IAC. I have cleaned the throttle body, intake manifold and EGR. On my car, the IAC is almost impossible to take off since its up against the firewall. I will look into any techniques on how to get it off but I do know on hondas they have two IACs. One can be tightened as you described.

But before I do all that I decided to buy concentrated fuel injector cleaner. Since Ill ran my gas tank awfully low wednesday, the day before this issue got really bad, Im going to see if crap has just been getting into the fuel system. That would make sense as to why I have no check engine light.

Take the two lower mounts loose and the engine rolls forward to access the iac with several inches to spare. Be cautious of the heater hoses being pulled tight. As you said with low fuel, may not be an issue but change the fuel filter!

sjrobinson
06-23-2012, 08:52 AM
The fuel filter was changed about two months ago.
Ill look into loosening the lower mounts so I can get back there.