PDA

View Full Version : Continuity testing

Jamesleaper
06-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Can you please take a look at the video and results and pass comment if you think there is a problem or not. thanks jim.

http://youtu.be/B_jmtSVSaVU

BioFarmer93
06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Jim,
In the first video on the chart you made, the readings on the left side of center were a bit lower than the right, and climbed a bit with each cell as you moved to the right. I didn't see anything to lead me to believe that you had plates actually touching one another, but just based on the numbers I saw are you sure you weren't accidentally measuring voltage? As I continued to watch the next video though, I saw on your meter a reading of 19.1 something, then 20.01 (all good), then a reading of 3.20!:eek: that you didn't seem to notice the significance of at that time. THAT is either a warp placing those two plates very, very close together with a bit of electrolyte in-between, or two plates that are just barely touching with some really clean water in between. Either way, there is where a problem is.

I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and make some more gaskets my friend- the only other things that could be responsible for the low production are bubble occlusion of plate area, a consequence of overly thin gaskets without the use of a circulating pump to keep them washed away, or too much plate area for the available amperage (assuming the plates are clean and at least sanded 2 ways.) Your measurement technique looked fine as was your electrolyte KOH level.

Jamesleaper
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Jim,
In the first video on the chart you made, the readings on the left side of center were a bit lower than the right, and climbed a bit with each cell as you moved to the right. I didn't see anything to lead me to believe that you had plates actually touching one another, but just based on the numbers I saw are you sure you weren't accidentally measuring voltage? As I continued to watch the next video though, I saw on your meter a reading of 19.1 something, then 20.01 (all good), then a reading of 3.20!:eek: that you didn't seem to notice the significance of at that time. THAT is either a warp placing those two plates very, very close together with a bit of electrolyte in-between, or two plates that are just barely touching with some really clean water in between. Either way, there is where a problem is.

I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and make some more gaskets my friend- the only other things that could be responsible for the low production are bubble occlusion of plate area, a consequence of overly thin gaskets without the use of a circulating pump to keep them washed away, or too much plate area for the available amperage (assuming the plates are clean and at least sanded 2 ways.) Your measurement technique looked fine as was your electrolyte KOH level.

Are you saying i need to use a thicker gasket i.e. 2mm? and if that is the case, as i have enough 1mm gasket material spare would doubling up be ok. thanks jim.