PDA

View Full Version : KOH Volume

Alaskan Ogre
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Simple question:

I have a 1 gallon reservoir that I want to put 3 quarts distilled water with 28% KOH. I just need to know how many ounces I need to buy.

I asked a seller on eBay and all I got back from her was "4 - 4oz bottles = 16 ounces, I hope that helps". Too funny!

I'm guessing about 40 ounces.

Thanks in advance!

D.O.G
06-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Simple question:

I have a 1 gallon reservoir that I want to put 3 quarts distilled water with 28% KOH. I just need to know how many ounces I need to buy.

I asked a seller on eBay and all I got back from her was "4 - 4oz bottles = 16 ounces, I hope that helps". Too funny!

I'm guessing about 40 ounces.

Thanks in advance!

OK, I don't work well with imperial measurements anymore, but you can probably understand where I'm going with this.

The concentration % is based on the total finished weight (water and KOH).
This means that the water component of the mix is 72% of the total weight and the KOH is 28% of the total weight.
You need to weigh your 3 quarts of water, divide that weight by 72, then multiply that result by 28 to get the weight of KOH needed.

Alaskan Ogre
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
OK, I don't work well with imperial measurements anymore, but you can probably understand where I'm going with this.

The concentration % is based on the total finished weight (water and KOH).
This means that the water component of the mix is 72% of the total weight and the KOH is 28% of the total weight.
You need to weigh your 3 quarts of water, divide that weight by 72, then multiply that result by 28 to get the weight of KOH needed.

So this is what I come up with:

Gallon of water is 128 ounces (U.S. weight) so 3 quarts is 96 ounces.
96/72 = 1.33 x 28 = 37.33 ounces of KOH to make 28% concentrate using 3 quarts water.

I was pretty close.

Thanks!