PDA

View Full Version : Retarding pump

Jamesleaper
06-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Just wondered, what is the affect on the running of the engine if the pump is retarded 1 degree and the HHO stops working, does the engine stop working or is it starved of fuel at high revs? or something else? or nothing:confused:

TwinTurbo
06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
It depends on the engine, you may not even notice a difference at one degree- certainly not enough to harm anything, the starting will be where you will notice it most.

BioFarmer93
06-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Just wondered, what is the affect on the running of the engine if the pump is retarded 1 degree and the HHO stops working, does the engine stop working or is it starved of fuel at high revs? or something else? or nothing:confused:

Jim,
Externally retarding the pump timing by a degree can't cause any harm, (loosening the bolts and manually shifting the pump body) but advancing it (too far) can. An injected spritz of fuel requires a given amouint of time to burn, and as you give more throttle to you diesel engine, the amount of fuel that is injected is increased as well as the amount of dynamic timing advance. The dynamic timing advance is handled inside the pump to provide a few extra milliseconds for the increased fuel charge to burn, since there is more fuel to burn and this takes a tiny bit longer. When we run HHO in our diesels the initial burn is still instigated by the timely injection of diesel fuel, but the addition of elevated levels off H & O cause the rate of flame propogation to increase, negating the need for as much "wrench induced" injection advance. The dynamic throttle/pump induced advance is never affected.
Without HHO, the timing retarded diesel will not starve for fuel but it will not feel quite as snappy either. It will still be able to attain almost maximum rpm but it will have a bit slower run up with a trace of smoke. This is why the "fuel screw" (or whatever you lads to the east of the puddle call it) is also backed out a bit- and this where the fuel savings really begin. It is a tuning process, and you will become more familiar with your engine than you had ever imagined...:D;)

Jamesleaper
06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Jim,
Externally retarding the pump timing by a degree can't cause any harm, (loosening the bolts and manually shifting the pump body) but advancing it (too far) can. An injected spritz of fuel requires a given amouint of time to burn, and as you give more throttle to you diesel engine, the amount of fuel that is injected is increased as well as the amount of dynamic timing advance. The dynamic timing advance is handled inside the pump to provide a few extra milliseconds for the increased fuel charge to burn, since there is more fuel to burn and this takes a tiny bit longer. When we run HHO in our diesels the initial burn is still instigated by the timely injection of diesel fuel, but the addition of elevated levels off H & O cause the rate of flame propogation to increase, negating the need for as much "wrench induced" injection advance. The dynamic throttle/pump induced advance is never affected.
Without HHO, the timing retarded diesel will not starve for fuel but it will not feel quite as snappy either. It will still be able to attain almost maximum rpm but it will have a bit slower run up with a trace of smoke. This is why the "fuel screw" (or whatever you lads to the east of the puddle call it) is also backed out a bit- and this where the fuel savings really begin. It is a tuning process, and you will become more familiar with your engine than you had ever imagined...:D;)

You mention the "fuel screw", ive looked up the bosch pump which i believe to be fitted to my vehicle.

http://gnarlodious.com/vanagon/bosch_pump/Bosch_VE_Pumps.pdf

what is the fuel screw, or where, i now that the electronic control pump take a reading from a sensor depending on accelerations and deceleration and send the signal to the ECU, however i dont believe that is my system, so where is the fuel screw?

pjlala
06-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Dear Friends, How do i lean the fuel of carburator vehicles?

BioFarmer93
06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
You mention the "fuel screw", ive looked up the bosch pump which i believe to be fitted to my vehicle.

http://gnarlodious.com/vanagon/bosch_pump/Bosch_VE_Pumps.pdf

what is the fuel screw, or where, i now that the electronic control pump take a reading from a sensor depending on accelerations and deceleration and send the signal to the ECU, however i dont believe that is my system, so where is the fuel screw?

Jim,
I spent about half an hour reading and looking at the diagrams in the pump manual you linked- I think I see the method by which you could decrease the fuel delivery but I'm not comfortable giving advice about a Bosch pump. You'll probably have to do as I did and join a forum specific to the type of vehicle and engine that you have.

Jamesleaper
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Jim,
I spent about half an hour reading and looking at the diagrams in the pump manual you linked- I think I see the method by which you could decrease the fuel delivery but I'm not comfortable giving advice about a Bosch pump. You'll probably have to do as I did and join a forum specific to the type of vehicle and engine that you have.

ive got no intention of doing this myself, i am still not sure if my vehicle is electronic or mechanical. I spoke to my mechanic today about retarding the pump, (as my vehicle was in for its yearly inspection), however i forgot to ask about decreasing the fuel.

however, i was a bit shocked, hes reluctant to do it as it is a chain driven timing belt, and it may have gears driving the pump, and could not give an estimate, because he has not done this type of car before.

Its begining to sound expensive, i feel ive got this far without any result, i am going to try another mechanic and see if i can get a better answer.:confused:

BioFarmer93
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
With mechanics and doctors, a second opinion never hurts. However it really is a good idea to join a forum that is focused on your particular vehicle- soak up all the knowledge you can for as long as you can.