PDA

View Full Version : toggle switch killing current

dswareagle
05-11-2012, 11:33 PM
running 12ga wire to 30amp toggle but the LED in the switch barely comes on and the generator is only drawing .09 amps whats the deal? also having issues wit my digital amp meter it seems to be measuring amps in my battery not the cell

aceras624
05-12-2012, 12:25 AM
toggle switches actually dont allow much current through. I had one that was rated at 20 amps with an LED that got HOOOOT at 15 amps. Turns out theyre just rated at pulsed amperage, not constant. Run the switch to a relay. Its super easy

dswareagle
05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
ohhhh so use a 30 amp relay and control the relay by switch?

aceras624
05-12-2012, 06:21 PM

wise young grasshopper, very wise...

That means yes :D

aceras624
05-12-2012, 06:24 PM
also keep in mind the ratings for relays are sometimes only for sporadic use so get a relay that can handle MORE amps than yoou would need. They take INCREDIBLY little current to switch on though. I use the remote from my radio for my relays(1 40amp relay for everything power, 2 15 amp relays for displays at 12 volts and at 6 volts for nightime driving wiht rockerswitches to control which are on) relays are so much fuuuuun!!!

Madsceintist
05-13-2012, 10:36 AM

A fuel pump relay for a late 80's ford truck or mid 90's chevy is a great relay, they're meant for continuous use at high amps. It cost more then the ecu relay but withstands the heat better.

dswareagle
05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
also keep in mind the ratings for relays are sometimes only for sporadic use so get a relay that can handle MORE amps than yoou would need. They take INCREDIBLY little current to switch on though. I use the remote from my radio for my relays(1 40amp relay for everything power, 2 15 amp relays for displays at 12 volts and at 6 volts for nightime driving wiht rockerswitches to control which are on) relays are so much fuuuuun!!!

ok so how the hell do i wire a switch into a relay? the ones at orieleys have 4 leads will different nnumbers and im confussed

Stevo
05-13-2012, 11:57 PM
You have a ground, supply (12v in), signal (ignition on) and switch (to cell). The supply and switch are parallel as are the ground and supply.

http://www.punchhho.com/40-amp-relay.jpg

dswareagle
05-14-2012, 12:29 AM
ok... so where should i plug in my amp meter :( my head hurts

aceras624
05-14-2012, 12:45 AM
ampmeter is run in series with the main current wire.
just do searches for "how to wire a relay" on youtube. there are tons of videos that will make you feel comfortable with how they work

Madsceintist
05-14-2012, 01:53 AM
DUDE...................

That reservoir is not going to hold pressure or vacuum! Seriously, sorry to be blunt but that caps not doing you any good! You need a well sealed system.

dswareagle
05-14-2012, 02:03 AM
well i had planned on finding a way to seal it :( plus it was free!!!! but i may look through the junkyard for a reservoir that has a screw on cap

myoldyourgold
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
The caps are the problem and I found almost impossible to seal. Old Volvo coolant tanks were neat but still the caps were the problem and ended up being more trouble than just making a PVC tube type reservoir. Been there done that. A waste of time. You have to have a perfect sealed system because any leaks just robs you of any gains you should be getting.

dswareagle
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
ok made a pvc res and bubbler today dont mine the tape thats just temporary until i figure exactly how to mount the dang thing maybe velcro or plumbers strapping.

myoldyourgold
05-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Even though in cab installations are not the safest I would recommend you put a plastic wash basin under the reactor. You never know what might happen and a leak appear. Would do a real number on the vehicle carpet.......etc.

dswareagle
05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Even though in cab installations are not the safest I would recommend you put a plastic wash basin under the reactor. You never know what might happen and a leak appear. Would do a real number on the vehicle carpet.......etc.

yeah well pretty limited on the astro van as far as places to put it but i will definately put something under the reastor :) im just stoked by first legit reactor is putting out a solid liter of gas at 14.5 amps and staying nice a cool :)