PDA

View Full Version : PVC cells are made upside down.

BoyntonStu
08-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I have seen too many PVC cells overheat and melt or distort where the contacts come through the top.

Solution:

Make the cell with the contacts out the bottom.

The solution is the "electrolyte solution" which will cool the contacts.

In addition, the contact arms will be shorter and more efficient.

With the cells at the bottom there is more head space.

BoyntonStu

daveczrn
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Good idea... makes perfect sense. And it will be much easier to spot a leak if you have it

Smith03Jetta
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM
This is the kind of practical information that I have been talking about. It's actually a useful suggestion. It is a good idea to keep all electrical connections under water in case of a short or spark. This useful tidbit of information is something that people can use in real life. This suggestion is a lot better than a bunch of hypothetical rocket science "What Ifs".

This ain't rocket science. It is good old common sense being put to work.

We all know that PVC has a flaw. It's flaw is it does not respond well to high temperatures. Even if the water temp does not rise above 150F the connectors going through the PVC can probably get 200F+ The PVC will start shrinking, cracking and leaking around the bolts.

I've got another suggestion for you. Try to build a cell that has no electrical connections going through the housing. I've figured out how to do it. NO JOKE.

The only hole in the cell would be for the gas fitting.

How would it work? Run your pos/neg wires through your car's air intake and into the HHO hose, through the bubbler and into the electrolyzer cell. This would require a slightly larger tube but it would eliminate the need for bolts through the PVC or whatever material your case is made of. Make sure the wire is of the proper gauge and the insulation is of good quality because you don't want it to overheat and short out.

greuvin
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Wire would have to be SS at least for the distance from the cell to a point where a splice could be made.

Smith03Jetta
08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Wire can be copper all the way to the cell. Use Silver Solder to connect the copper wire to the plates and solder any exposed copper wire. Then coat the end of the rubber wire and any exposed soldered wire in good silicon sealant. The silicon will protect it from the Oxygen and resist heat up to 600F.

mario brito
08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
excelent idea !

it's much easier to seal the cell to water then to H2. with the electric connections in the bottom, you would only have to worry about the output hole in the top. nice :)

another idea that i'm using right now : power the cell with electric cable, with two conductors + isolation. no need to have different holes for + and -. just one hole, one less to seal.

keep on this route BoyntonStu

thanks

Painless
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
How would it work? Run your pos/neg wires through your car's air intake and into the HHO hose, through the bubbler and into the electrolyzer cell. This would require a slightly larger tube but it would eliminate the need for bolts through the PVC or whatever material your case is made of. Make sure the wire is of the proper gauge and the insulation is of good quality because you don't want it to overheat and short out.

You could simplify this idea even further, just add another hose connector to the case and run the wiring through that, you would need to add some kind of sealant so as not to provide a way for the HHO to leak out though.