PDA

View Full Version : ok guys finally starting my first dry cell

dswareagle
04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
plates are here and gaskets are being cut unfortunately by hand with a razorblade:( will sand the plates this weekend

missing my ends tho how much is some hdpe 1 ince thick gonna cost me?does it have to be an inch thick?

dswareagle
05-02-2012, 03:30 AM
ok now just have to drill holes and find end plates might go for some plexi for now these are 7x3 16ga 316L plates and 3/32 neoprene gaskets

BioFarmer93
05-02-2012, 07:41 AM
You can get by with the Walmart cutting boards (cheap) if you use a 1/4" steel plate perimeter reinforcement about an inch wide. It works well and looks rather cool...

Stevo
05-02-2012, 08:36 AM
This is a good source: http://www.thecuttingboardfactory.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCBF&Category_Code=3WSA

As is this: http://www.tapplastics.com/

Will you be sandblasting your plates? I would and will be once I upgrade mine to dual stack very soon.

dswareagle
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM
i will check out the cutting boards thats not a bad idea...sounds cheap

and i will be sanding them 3 or 4 ways and im going to upgrade to a 2 13 [late stack setup eventually but funds are low and i dont want to buy more gasket material yet

so once its finished it will be -NNNNN+NNNNN-|-NNNNN+NNNNN- no holes in the positive plate 1/4T x 3/8W holes on bottom alternating sides for water in and 3/8T x 1/2W holes on top alternating sides for gas out

dixiepc
05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Is there not someone close to you that could sandblast your plates fo you?

hhocivic
05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Guys.
I'm totally new to this, and would like some advice/help if you can please.

Do the center of the plates not have tobe cut like the gaskets you are using?
I am trying to visualize where the water goes in and where the hho gas comes out, in a dry cell configuration. Or more so the area where the HHO is formed.
Thanks

aceras624
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Guys.
I'm totally new to this, and would like some advice/help if you can please.

Do the center of the plates not have tobe cut like the gaskets you are using?
I am trying to visualize where the water goes in and where the hho gas comes out, in a dry cell configuration. Or more so the area where the HHO is formed.
Thanks

imagine a sandwich. a slice of steel lets say 6" by 6"
now imagine a gasket on top of that also 6" by 6" but missing all but the other edge by maybe 1/2"
put another sheet of steel 6" by 6" on top of that. What you would have would be 2 plates and one gasket seperating them. Now you need a place for electrolyte to flow in via a single hole toward the bottom of EACH plate and a hole for gasses to escape via a hole in EACH plate toward the top. continue builing your sandwich and you can make a larger generator. the space in between each sheet of steel allows space for HHO production. The gap between steel plates is from the gasket holding a gap between plates but only around the edges

Stevo
05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Well let us know when you get to the cleansing and conditioning part if you need some pointers. I would definitely make sure to wipe the plates down with alcohol or pure acetone to get those finger prints off. Congrats on your project's commencement.

aceras624
05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
this is where I get my endplates http://www.ebay.com/itm/260754447272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

dswareagle
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
tried drilling holes this morning and damn it ate my bit up

any tips for drilling this stuff? i guess just start with a small bit and work my way up

and im a dumbass. i was cutting up my 1/2 in hdpe cutting board and forgot to leave and inch on both sides for the widthwise cut so not i can put bolts on the sides hopefully it wont leak in the meantime until i get some more suitable material for the ends.

Stevo
05-04-2012, 11:41 PM
You need a drillpress to drill those holes. Make sure to clamp the plates first! Also use machine oil and go slow. 16 guage will be tough with a small drillpress.

dswareagle
05-04-2012, 11:47 PM
yeah im using a big drill press and my bit lit the plates up quick also i was trying to cut my corners off with metal sheers and it took all the "ass" i had to cut it so i suppose that in the morning i will break out the cutting wheel and go slow :(

myoldyourgold
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Some years ago when I first started futsing with HHO I drilled a number of 18 and 20 gauge plates. It was no fun and and took a lot of time even with my large drill press. I found a local metal shop that had a punch press and the right size punch and die. Even though there was a minimum charge because the job only took 10 to 15 minutes(1 hour minimum) to do it was much cheaper in the long run if my time was worth even a dime an hour not to mention the drills but including the drill sharpening time. The drill doctor really came in handy. There was no distortion except in a couple pieces which was easy to fix.

aceras624
05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
1. Sharp bits. Drill bit sharpeners help here
2. Go SLOOOOW. Heat DESTROYS bits and warps metal
3. Keep it COOL. I started using ice cubes instead of cutting oil with great results

dswareagle
05-06-2012, 01:46 AM
titanium bits are very good and spit works well as a coolant :) unfortunately im a jackass and on the last hole i had to drill,the plate got caught in the bit and spun the plate and fileted my hand open like a fish... probably should of had stitches but i cleaned it out( which took all the will i had hold it open and clean it out)and then taped it shut with lots of ointment so i should have listened when you said "clamp your plates"

so thats a lesson learned. safety first.because having ur hand cut open by something that is not sharp does not feel too good...

BioFarmer93
05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Ah Grasshoppah, Confucius say "Lesson learned in pain never forgotten"
Unless you are current, go get a tetanus shot... -for next time.;):D

aceras624
05-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Confucius say "man who go to sleep with itchy butthole, wake up with stinky finger"

dswareagle
05-08-2012, 02:48 AM
haha nah i wrecked my bike a few years ago and got one so im good for anoter few years in the tetanus dept. so the hose barbs i got have an outside diameter of just over 1/2 inch at the threads how big should my holes be before i try to tap them?

Stevo
05-08-2012, 07:45 AM
You killed Kenny.

dswareagle
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
well its together how much NaOH should i use per gallon?

dswareagle
05-09-2012, 05:07 PM
alright guys its built and hooked up running 14.5 amps with no pwm and is barely warm to the touch even at the connection even after running for 30 minutes :) so i think things are good and im getting right at a liter a minute maybe a little more ( ill test later)

Alaskan Ogre
06-11-2012, 03:56 PM
This is about the same size reactor that I'm wanting to build. I'd like to get 2 lpm
out of it.

What output are you getting?

reggaerican
06-19-2012, 02:31 AM
that is a nice little gennerator and with that 16g steel it should stay cooler than say with 20g right? so in theory you should be able to push more amps into it and get more lpm output than 20g that size yes??
im still in the research phaze so im just trying to clairify what I think I know...
thanks and once again good work