PDA

View Full Version : have a problem

shortstack
08-05-2008, 01:36 AM
i am having a problem with it drawing too many amps,
1st i had a 25amp fuse, and was using 1/2t easpoon/distilled quart, blew that fuse.
2nd i had a 30amp fuse and was using 1/4 teaspoon/distilled quart, blew that fuse.
is their anything i can do to make it stop blowing fuse's, it gets pretty hot, although not sure on the temp.
here is the info on it
This cell has 4 pos+ and 4 neg- and 4 nuteral plates, HHO hydrogen fuel cell (12)2"x3" 304 stainless steel plates 16 gauge. it goes +n-+n-+n-+n-
here is a picture of it.
http://i35.tinypic.com/e0qrza.jpg

would changing the electrolyte help?

NOTE: electrolyte is baking soda

Q-Hack!
08-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Probably the best thing you could do to deal with the heat is increase you total volume of water. If you are like me and don't have a lot of space in the vehicle you can always use one of these.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=71

and one of these:

http://www.pwmall.com/Website/Nproductdetail.aspx?ITEMNMBR=5275496&BCATCHILDID2=2964&ID=126418

(I found my pump on ebay for $20 USD)

However, since the radiator is made of aluminum, you can only use baking soda with it... koh and naoh will eat right through it in a mater of hours.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-05-2008, 02:12 AM
You can weaken the electrolyte, but it will just take longer to warm up to that point where your fuse blows. You will also give up immediate gas production to a large degree.

The most direct way to deal with this, is to limit the current to what ever amp rating you chose.

Just get a wire that will only take that many amps, then when it goes over that, the wire fries!:D Just kidding!

Many people use the PWM devices. They do other neat tricks to the electricity, but they also end up limiting the current as well!

Another idea is using a Ballast Resistor, aka (also known as) a Barretter (not sure about the Baretter spelling). Haven't tested this one yet, but we are extremely keen on the idea. We've considered for some time that the PWM solution was just another complexity used to solve a simple function, where you'd think there was a simple solution, right?

You go ahead and call half a dozen electronics parts distributors, then get a "technical" person on the phone, and ask them to solve this simple function??:confused: They don't know WTF, I'm serious. Their question is, "Do you have a part number?" I'm serious, I posed it to like 6 different companies' "technical experts". :mad: Yeah, they're expert at keystrokes and repeating names of components, but they don't know sh*t. Finally LinChiek right here says to check out these ballast resistors!! I'm like, yeah!! Finally a person and not a robot idiot on the phone! Sounds like it will work just fine too!

LinChiek
08-05-2008, 02:13 AM
i am having a problem with it drawing too many amps,
1st i had a 25amp fuse, and was using 1/2t easpoon/distilled quart, blew that fuse.
2nd i had a 30amp fuse and was using 1/4 teaspoon/distilled quart, blew that fuse.
is their anything i can do to make it stop blowing fuse's, it gets pretty hot, although not sure on the temp.
here is the info on it
This cell has 4 pos+ and 4 neg- and 4 nuteral plates, HHO hydrogen fuel cell (12)2"x3" 304 stainless steel plates 16 gauge. it goes +n-+n-+n-+n-
here is a picture of it.
http://i35.tinypic.com/e0qrza.jpg

would changing the electrolyte help?

NOTE: electrolyte is baking soda
reduce the concentration of ur electrolyte.....

or add a ballast resistor to ur generator

+12V -- ballast resistor -- generator -- GND

shortstack
08-05-2008, 02:51 AM
is their a specific ballast resistor i need to get, and also i'm guessing you ment ground by GND?

LinChiek
08-05-2008, 03:04 AM
is their a specific ballast resistor i need to get, and also i'm guessing you ment ground by GND?
yeap.... GND = Ground :D

can really recommend what spec 4 da ballast resistor coz dun hav all that info... maybe something like 12V and 20amp??? :confused:

before u go and get urself a ballast resistor, try reduce the concentration of the electrolyte by adding more H2O.

shortstack
08-05-2008, 04:11 AM
i guess i can try 1/4 teaspoon baking soda/quart

dhho
08-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi there I think that your plate arrangement is a bit different.It looks to me that you have + next to the - and next to it you have a n in between.I think the plates that will make the gas will be the ones without neutrals.Have you tried this plate setup in a bucket of water to see what happens? I would think it would blow less fuses by putting a n between where you have a + and - together and also reducing electrolite concentration a lot,maybe even try just water to start with.
Regards,
Mos

LinChiek
08-05-2008, 05:58 AM
i guess i can try 1/4 teaspoon baking soda/quart
y dun u use other electrolyte such as KOH or NaOH? electrolyte from baking soda will release carbon monoxide..... :(

shortstack
08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
well i got just an e-mail from the guy and i guess he used 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of distilled water, so that was problem, so i will try that and see how it does. thanks