PDA

View Full Version : big plate with 1 stack or small plate with 2 stacks ?

Quebecker
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone,

Which one is better ?

A dry-cell with big plates (6" * 10") and just one stack
-NNNNNN+ , active area ± 44 inch -> 44 * 1 * 0.5 = 22 Amp max

or

a dry-cell with small plates (5"*6" ) and 2 stacks
-NNNNNN+NNNNNN- , active area ± 20 inch -> 20 * 2 * 0.5 = 20 Amp max

This time it is to install on my second car. A Toyota Corolla S 2010, motor 1.7 liters and 4-speed automatic .

The reactor should be able to produce an 1 LPM and we must consider that I live in Canada and winters, we have temperatures of about - 20 °C

I need to make myself a reactor and the reactor must not have more than 4 "thick

whear
04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm also curious about the advantages and disadvantages of using 1 stack reactor with bigger plates over 2 stack reactor with smaller plates, but with both having the same total active area.

I think that 5 neutrals would be better than 6 in our extreme weather conditions, Remi. It would probably heat faster ( not sure ), and run a bit hotter. 5 Neutrals shouldn't produce steam and could turn to be more efficient than 6 Neutrals in some cases.

Quebecker
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm also curious about the advantages and disadvantages of using 1 stack reactor with bigger plates over 2 stack reactor with smaller plates, but with both having the same total active area.

I think that 5 neutrals would be better than 6 in our extreme weather conditions, Remi. It would probably heat faster ( not sure ), and run a bit hotter. 5 Neutrals shouldn't produce steam and could turn to be more efficient than 6 Neutrals in some cases.

5 neutrals would be better than 6 in our extreme weather conditions but my car is in a heated garage at 5 ° C ;)

myoldyourgold
04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Because of the complexity of getting the correct flow of gas and ions in a multi-stack bipolar reactor it is in my opinion better to stick with a single stack when ever possible. In a lot of cases the thickness of a 2 stack or more reactor is problematic when it comes to space. When using larger plates I have found that one needs to stick to 18 gauge even for the N plates which is a slight disadvantage but the thinner 20 or 22 gauge under certain conditions will need a non conducting brace like a round piece of gasket in the center to prevent the two plates form shorting/touching each other. There is a natural vibration that under certain conditions is acerbated causing this to happen intermittently in some cases and is very hard to detect resulting in a lot of lost time and hair pulling. LOL This is more of a problem when using 1/16" thick gaskets but less when using 1/8 inch. 1/16 inch gaskets are recommended when production is 1.5 LPM or at least under 2 lpm.

Quebecker
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Because of the complexity of getting the correct flow of gas and ions in a multi-stack bipolar reactor it is in my opinion better to stick with a single stack when ever possible. In a lot of cases the thickness of a 2 stack or more reactor is problematic when it comes to space. When using larger plates I have found that one needs to stick to 18 gauge even for the N plates which is a slight disadvantage but the thinner 20 or 22 gauge under certain conditions will need a non conducting brace like a round piece of gasket in the center to prevent the two plates form shorting/touching each other. There is a natural vibration that under certain conditions is acerbated causing this to happen intermittently in some cases and is very hard to detect resulting in a lot of lost time and hair pulling. LOL This is more of a problem when using 1/16" thick gaskets but less when using 1/8 inch. 1/16 inch gaskets are recommended when production is 1.5 LPM or at least under 2 lpm.

thanks you Sir !!!

Quebecker
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Carter,

With just one stack (6" x 8" plate ), is it preferable to have one input and one output of each of the end plates (total of 2 inputs and 2 outputs)

or

one input in one end plates and one output in other endplate ?

Regards

whear
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi Carter,

In the post above, you said that for 2 LPM and less, one should use 1/16" gaskets. So I suppose 1/8" gaskets are for 2 LPM and more.

I'm pretty sure I read an old post written by you in which you said that for plates with less than 10 square inches of surface, one should use 1/16". If the plates have a surface of 10 square inches and more, 1/8" gaskets are better.

I'm a bit confused. What does gasket size depend on ? Total production of the reactor ? Or plate surface ? Or both ?

I'm planning on building 2 reactors:

One stack, 5Ns, -nnnnn+, 6" x 8" plates

Two stacks, 5Ns, -nnnnn+nnnnn-, 5" x 5" plates

The two reactors are close one another in terms of total active area, and I assume they will have similar productions when pulling the same amount of amps. ( around 1 LPM @ 15A )

What gasket size should I use for each one ?

Thanks in advance,

Andrei.