PDA

View Full Version : Rate my cell config!

djerickd
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Just assembled a cell, I did it this way.

+N(nut)N-(nut)-N(nut)N+

where the neurtals are elctrically connected by the nuts inbetween and there are TWO - plates in the center of the cell connected electrically by the nuts in the center. every other plate not separated by the (nuts) have plastic washers in between..

thoughts? evaluate my design! pic:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/djerickd/cell.jpg

EDIT: i just noticed the strap I have right in the middle may or may not be a good Idea, it's like 1/4 the size of one plate so technically there are 2.25 plates right in the center of the cell..

LinChiek
08-05-2008, 02:21 AM
post a pic pls...... :)

djerickd
08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
posted!! :D

c02cutter
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
The cell should work OK. Before dropping it into solution though check the cell with a multimeter. + plates should dead short to + plates, and and the same – plates to – plates. Crossing the connection from – plates to + plates should be open, or no reading. Cross check every plate to any other plate in the cell to verify that you are truly set up as it should be.

Smith03Jetta
08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
The plates should produce some HHO but you will have problems with your connections. The Copper wires will not last the way you have them. I suggest silver soldering them to the Plates and coating the wires/solder with Silicon Sealant. Heat proof and water proof.

djerickd
08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
do you guys think I should just go with a differnt design? I kinda set it up how I noticed smack set his up here but, i just had less plates:

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf

do you think I should maybe cut that 1/4 of a plate right in the middle in half?

I'm interesting in "wrapping" the cell in shrink wrap, or sealing the edges of them to prevent the current from jumping. any suggestions?

djerickd
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
The plates should produce some HHO but you will have problems with your connections. The Copper wires will not last the way you have them. I suggest silver soldering them to the Plates and coating the wires/solder with Silicon Sealant. Heat proof and water proof.

thats a good idea.. I thought silicon was bad for this application?

what I did here was bent the metal to form a crimp and just crimped the wires to the stainless straps I have connecting the cell + and - but, I can solder also.

any other suggestions? I can't wait to get the car going on this!!

Thanks guys!

EltonBrandd
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Your plate spacing is uneven. They look "wavy". Just remember your smallest plate gap between 2 plates is where the current will flow the most. That will directly affect your amperage draw, most likely high with close plates. Run it in an open container so you can watch it then go with a new design;)

djerickd
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I replaced the word (bolt) with (nut) in my OP above to make more sense. I've used stainless nuts between the plates not a bolt!

Smith03Jetta
08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I would suggest using thicker plates because you are having trouble with the plates warping even before you get the cell installed. You have uneven plate spacing. In certain spots the plates are closer together than others. This will result in high amp draw and possible electrical shorts if it is bad enough.

djerickd
08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks Smith for the feedback!!!

wsv3424
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I Suggest No Connectors In Solution And No Crimp Connectors Period. The Connection Is Most Important As Far As Production Goes . Loss Of Electricity Thru The Connections You Have Will Be Great ! Drill A Hole For The Bolt Thru Top Of Each Plate You Use For Connection . Insert Bolt And Then Attach Heavy Gauge Cable Such As Car Battery Sized And Secure W/ss Nut And Then Tighten As Much As You Can Then Encapsulate The Connectiuons W/a Quality Marine Grade Epoxy . Let Cure For A Minimum Of 48 Hrs. Now, You Have A Solid Connection That Will Not Have Any Electrical Loss And Your Production Will Show . Cheers

djerickd
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the tip!! Time to redesign!