PDA

View Full Version : 16 ga stainless to thick?

dswareagle
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
is 16 gauge 316l stainless plate too thick? i found a good deal on plates

BioFarmer93
04-11-2012, 08:32 PM
is 16 gauge 316l stainless plate too thick? i found a good deal on plates

It is a little heavy, but that being said, if the guy has a bunch of it and is willing to make you a good price on it then I personally say go for it. You'll have a heavier reactor but look at the bright side- when you get them media blasted they will be less likely to warp...;):D

dswareagle
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
hmmm ok but wont it take more juice to power the sucker? meaning more heat? and more strain on my alternator

BioFarmer93
04-11-2012, 10:50 PM
hmmm ok but wont it take more juice to power the sucker? meaning more heat? and more strain on my alternator

I don't know.. I'm sure someone here has a differing opinion, but my thoughts on the matter are that it's easier to push 12V through a piece of 6AWG than it is to push it through a piece of 14AWG so why would not the same hold true for SS? Maybe I'm not thinking about it right, but I'm sure an expert will comment shortly..

D.O.G
04-12-2012, 06:10 AM
My first dry cells used 2mm thick plate, because I got some for free.
Apart from being heavy and more work to cut and drill, it worked fine.

I don't know.. I'm sure someone here has a differing opinion, but my thoughts on the matter are that it's easier to push 12V through a piece of 6AWG than it is to push it through a piece of 14AWG so why would not the same hold true for SS? Maybe I'm not thinking about it right, but I'm sure an expert will comment shortly..

That's true for unipolar plates, but thick bipolar plates will have a higher resistance than thin ones. Having said that, you can probably compensate for that by using a slightly stronger (lower resistance) electrolyte concentration.

Also as Bio says, thick plates don't warp as easily as thin ones.:D

BioFarmer93
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
D.O.G.-
Thank you, I had completely forgotten that aspect of the scenario...

dswareagle
04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
well i got 27 7x3 316L 16ga lazer cut stainless plates for 51 bucks with shipping hope i can makae something cool with that